My first Coop...I hope they like it. What do you think?

ryan9923

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 26, 2010
Here's my very first coop! I had no idea what to build after my wife came home with a dozen little chickies one day! SURPRISE! Here is my attempt at building something that we hope the chickens will enjoy living in, and that we thought we'd enjoy having in our back yard. It's just about finished. The chickens have been living in there for several weeks now, but I still need to put a permanent roof on there. Right now it's plywood sheething covered with a tarp! it sure holds up, but will look so much nicer when we cover it with the green corregated roofing.

Please let me know what you think, or if you have any advice for things I need to change! Thanks so much.

DSC00023.JPG

DSC00024.JPG

DSC00025.JPG

DSC00027.JPG

DSC00012.JPG

DSC00029.JPG

Last edited:
Looks good but my only suggestion would be to make sure no critters can get in to your flock via the space in the door. Since it looks like you live near some wooded area it might become a problem

It's absolutely gorgeous, as are your chickens!

The only thing I would modify would be the wire & door in the run. You would be shocked at how chickens can be grabbed and pulled piece by piece though chickenwire, so the big openings your wire has could be lethal.

The way to modify it would be to cover all the wire with hardware cloth (which is a very very strong and small wire fencing).

Quote:
That space under the door is actually all screened in, kind of hard to see in the picture. the screen goes 2 feet underground too. So you can go under the coop from the outside, but critters can't get into the run area or into the coop itself (we hope anyway!!).

Thank you for all the nice comments and suggestions so quickly! This site really is a great resouce for us New Eggs.

Quote:
We all started as New Eggs, that's for sure! Welcome to BYC! Your chickens really are gorgeous and super healthy looking.

Back
Top Bottom