What is going on here??? (graphic picture)

henmommy

Songster
11 Years
Jul 17, 2008
Upstate NY
I need some determining what is going on here. This is my year old GW. I cleaned out pooped that was packed in her vent. What causes this? I changed feed about a month ago to Nutrena w/ omega 3's nad probiotics and have noticed darker black poop and some have poop stuck on their bottoms. I wash them off, but I have never experienced this before. Looking for input. Thanks!
13296_100_1037.jpg

Thank you. For now, she is eating and active free ranging in the yard. Her comb is bright red...I feel so bad for her! I want to help her back don't not have to do!

I heard people use preperation H for this...try pushing it back in gently then apply the prep H, keep her away from other chickens they will just peck at her. I hope this works for her or else you may have to put her down.I have had several egg bound hens it's never looked like this picture so I would say it was a prolapsed vent. So sorry.

Last edited:
One of my Wyandottes had this happen this weekend. I was trying to dust them because I think a couple have mites. When my husband caught her and turned her around so that I could do her vent area, this is what I saw. I cut off feathers that had dried on poo and then touched what was coming out of her vent gently. It went right back in without any hesitation and without any real force. We then put some olive oil in and around her vent area. I didn't really know what else to do, but after her dusting, she went on her mary old way. I gave them all some yogurt yesterday. I will check her when I get home. I hope that someone that has more experience gives you some insight into this! I sure would like to know what it is and what causes it as well. I hope your hen has a full recovery!

Prolapsed vent. I've had several girls have this. Try to gently clean the area. If you can, hold her under a faucet (with warm water!!!!) and let it run over her vent to soften everything. Gently wipe off or slowly pull off any poo or debris. Let the warm water continue to cleanse the area for a few minutes. Use Preparation H and gently push vent back in if it doesn't go in on its own. Good luck.

clean the area best you can.pour honey on the prolapse,gently push it back in,put prep-h all around the outside and inside vent.keep her in a dark quiet area to try to prevent any egg laying.check her a couple times a day and if the prolapse is back out repeat these steps.it could take a few days or just one.good luck..

Thank you all for the advice. I will get some prep H and try that. I have soaked her bottom in warm bath water and tried to give her some plain greek yogurt. She ate a little and will get some more oyster shell. Does anyone think this is the change in diet or just coinidence? Does anyone use this Nutrena food?

Back
Top Bottom