Chicks and Grit--Normal Behavior? Update to add: They're OK!

BearSwampChick

Chicken Sensei
12 Years
Jan 10, 2008
Marysville, OH
Is it normal for 2 week old chicks to act like they are starved for grit? I gave a scrambled egg treat to them this morning and a little later gave them grit in a jar lid. I've filled it 3 times and they act like they can't get enough. Fighting over it even.
hmm.png

Last edited:
They're on grower/starter and have plenty of food in their feeders. I think I read somewhere that they won't eat it unless they need it. Don't see how they could need that much!

I think your chicks have confused grit for food. Stop now and take away the grit. The chicks are babies. They can't tell what they need and don't need at this stage.

Everything they need is in their commercial starter feed.

At two weeks they are still learning what food is. They don't really need treats. If you give them something other than feed sprinkle some of their crumbles over it. If you must offer treats at this age do so in very small quantities and in moderation.

If you see any bloody poop or problems in the chicks you will know it is from ingesting too much grit.

Well, that was a really moronic thing for me to do! Thank goodness I dodged a bullet and everyone seems to be okay. No bloody poop or anything. I'll never do something like that again--well, let's just say I'll try. I never know when my brain might go on vacation and leave me in charge!

MissPrissy, I deserved the lecture!
smack.gif
Please don't hold it against me!
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif

Susan

When I bought my first babies at the feed store I was told I had to feed grit right away. Then I read on here that was wrong. Also they told me to put sugar in the water for the first 2 months! Has anyone heard this before? Now with my second batch of babies I feel a little more informed! Thanks to all of you!!
smile.png

OMG!!! My poor babies! I did it for a couple of days. Then when I couldn't find anything on here about it, I quit! Why on earth would they tell me that!!?? BearSwampChick...see you are not the only one!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom