Self-locking, automatic chicken coop door.

rpchris

Songster
8 Years
Aug 27, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
Here's a link to a video for a self-locking, automatic chicken coop door that I designed and built for my new coop. It will be connected to an X10 controller that will open and close the door on a schedule. I will also be able to manually open and close the door anywhere in the world using my iPhone.

Now I just have to finish the other 100 items left to do on the coop before the chickens can move in
smile.png

Last edited:
rpchris, Simply love your ingenious idea for the locking mechanism. I am gonna steal the idea and re-vamp mine tomorrow when I get off duty. Will just have to change things alittle due to the fact that my door is aluminum sheet. Already working it out in my head. Thanks for the post. Awesome
Erik

Quote:
Glad you liked it.
big_smile.png
The locks are just thin pieces of 1/8 inch plywood and some leftover oak trim glued on which hold the eye bolts and form the 'teeth' that lock the door in place. If you hang the locks from their corners with nuts, bolts and washers then gravity will pull everything shut and locked once the tension is off the cord. Pretty simple really,

Last edited:
Pure genius! :D

I am trying to make a door out of a recycled paper shredder mechanism, but I am struggling with the limit switches and how to make the shredder reverse automatically...:/

Back
Top Bottom