Polish X Showgirl...is anybody workin on this?

franklinstreetwest

Songster
9 Years
Mar 31, 2010
Urban Jungle
Have been mulling it over since coming across Showgirls... I was thinking that a bird with the Polish body type, smooth feathers and bare legs would look amazing with the Showgirl skin color and naked neck! Has anyone been working on this? Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start with a breeding program?

It seems like the two breeds would combine well in certain characteristics... domed heads, large feather crests, bearded or non, small to no comb, small wattles.

I am
smile.png
hopefully by next spring i will have some

Quote:
When you get some of these be sure to post pics and show us all. I myself think most crossbred chickens are great fun to do and very pretty.

Hi Jesse
big_smile.png
! How has the poultry breeding and showing been going? Loved all the new pics of your birds.

I'm a ways from breeding my own yet. The last batch of silkie eggs I got all had toe and skin issues. But they are looking decent for body type and feathers. The polish that I hatched and grew got massacred by the neighbor dogs when they got into my garage... So I only have one of those left. He is a darling pet, but not going to be bred. Not even sure he is going to TRY and mount a hen...he had wry-neck so bad that he is still clearly brain damaged. I have a beauty of a Showgirl hen, and eggs on the way for showgirl, silkie and some others that don't pertain to this thread.

Would anyone breed a Polish roo that had wry-neck?

Here's what I have for birds to start....it's not much I know, but I have to start somewhere and I'm not in a great hurry.
52817_img_20110810_165517.jpg

52817_img_20111009_162310.jpg

I doubt highly that I'll use the Polish roo I have (Weeble). I need to get some new stock of polish....have to work out my housing kinks before I jump into those again.

What would anyone expect I would get in regard to NN with a showgirl X polish? Would it be 50/50 NN? Would it have the bowtie?

Quote:
NO they want the chickens to have dark skin like a silkie - thus why they are using showgirls not regular turkens/naked necks. BUT with smooth feathers and body similar to a polish and a crest like a polish not a silkie.

With a polish body type and dark skin, - the end product would be neither silkie, showgirl, nor polish. they would have to have a whole new name, and be a new designer breed

Will be a very interesting mix, I can't wait to see pictures

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom