Our Weekend Visitors (Turkey Hen and 12 babies!!!) PICS!

bluey

thootp veteran
11 Years
Apr 10, 2008
Washington, PA
We've had a flock of turkeys running on our property all spring but we got a real treat over the past week or so as a mother turkey hen has made our "Churkey Loft" one of her daily morning feeding spots. In her wake, following her every move...12 babies!!!

Enjoy the pictures, I cleaned them up as well as I could. It was a little misty that morning and turkeys can be very skittish when they hear the smallest noise.

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

If anyone wishes, I will follow up with more pictures as we can get them. Special thanks to my DF for snapping these nice pictures.

Congrats!! It is sonice to see nature in action. A friend actually brought me some wild eggs that were just starting to hatch. He was mowing weeds and didnt see her and it was to late to stop. I had 4 hatch. I am going to rehab them until they are about a 1/3 grown and then take them back to the woods by his place. He had said a little prayer not to hit any baby deer and for got to mention turkeys too... We dont have any wilds right around me or I would try to sneek them in.... Would love to see follow up pics. Jenn

What a beautiful large family. Glad to see so many have survived. Do keep us posted with pics as I love seeing families in the wild thriving.
clap.gif

How wonderful. At my home in Georgia I had 13 turkeys that wandered through and across the driveway every morning at the same time. I used to watch for them every day.

It's been really nice! They breeze through at about 6:30am every morning to eat the leftover feed that I leave out for them. We're just both shocked that a hen can raise 12 babies in the wild especially with all of the predators we seem to have.

My hope is that they all grow to adulthood and provide us many years of turkey watching as well as maybe a few Thanksgiving dinners here and there!
wink.png

They are adorable all together. At the slightest noise the babies fly up to tree branches. Mom has them trained well.

Last edited:
I know I promised an update but I hadn't seen our wild turkey hen and 12 chicks for almost a week until they showed up on the game cam again.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be as many babies as there were in our previous pictures. I wonder if my elusive raccon has gotten a few of them.

Wild turkeys are truly a joy to watch in action.

Enjoy!

wildturkeys.jpg

wildturkeys2.jpg

wildturkeys3.jpg

wildturkeys4.jpg

cool bluey...
I had 2 grown turkeys and 1 baby wander through my yard a few months back. I thought we would walk behind them and they'd go into our chicken yard... HA HA HA...here's for wishful thinking.

I thought I was gonna have me Thanksgiving dinner and then some.

But they flew into the great big maple so me and my girls stood under...well, not directly under....the tree and gobble gobbled at them.

me,
g

I'm hoping to jesus that one of the bigger birds shows up for turkey season. I have plans of making a meal out of one of them anyway.

I'm glad your girls got to see them. they really are majestic and impressive creatures and are startlingly loud when they start flying!

Back
Top Bottom