What does chicken poop/ urine supposed to look like for healthy

Great link, Gritsar! I would have never thought to take so many pictures of chicken poo.

akd23237 - you don't provide any information or background for your question, but I imagine you are seeing runny poo from your chickens? I know off and on I will find runny poo from one or more of my 22 chickens and I chalk it up to the fact that they probably ate something that caused it, or drank more water than usual. If it's not an ongoing issue with your chicken(s), I probably wouldn't worry about it. But if it is - or you notice blood in the poo - I would get a bit concerned.

Best of luck,
Penny

Cecal poo, which is runny and looks like melted chocolate is normal. You'll see it about every 6 to 10 stools (some sites say 6 to 8 stools, others say 8 to 10).

Quote:
Wow, who would have thought a few months ago (I am new to caring for chickens) that I would be looking at pictures of chicken poo and finding it very helpful! Thanks for this great post it helped clear up a lot of questions.

Hi Folk
Just been checking out the link on normal chicken poops and wonder if anyone can tell me if my chicken is ill
sad.png

Her poops are all in the normal (as in the photos) range except her urates (? white bit?) sometimes has a smear of what looks like blood - but not red - more rust colour - on top. Her eggs were brown then went white and were quite large. Now she is not laying but tries to - sits on the nest but after a while (half hour or more) gives up. She appears well, eating and drinking, fossiking and doing all usual chicken things. I wonder because her eggs were large - maybe they were too large for her and she has hurt herself inside. I have checked her 'bottom' and it is pink, clean and OK looking to me. She would be less than two years old and only one of two chickens we keep.... pets really....
Any advice - except culling
sad.png
- would be gratefully received...
Thanks - June

I am also new to this forum, and to raising chickens, and this was extremely helpful. unbelievable the range of normal.

Quote:
Wow, who would have thought a few months ago (I am new to caring for chickens) that I would be looking at pictures of chicken poo and finding it very helpful! Thanks for this great post it helped clear up a lot of questions.

I know, who'd of guessed I would end up with a file full of poo sites?
"whacha doing,honey?" "lookin' at poo, dear." "okay, then"
'Normal' has a whole new definition.

Back
Top Bottom