This little guy is on its 4th batch of chicks and looks new. The only downfall is the inside of the holes are super sharp. I used to use a funnel before I figured out the lid comes off, duh. And now I wear leather gloves when prying the lid off since I sliced open my finger doing it a few weeks ago. Ouch!! I ended up screwing the base to a block of 2x6 just so it was high enough to keep the chicks from kicking pine shavings into it all the time. Other than sharp insides, love it!
As soon as I started to wash the base, I cut my finger down to the bone. Little presure was needed. I used it for a few days, then bought a plastic one.
If I just got a fluke one, please tell me. I will be happy to use steel in the future.