😞no more chickens😞

Juar3z

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2021
So yesterday we woke up as a normal day….went out side to let our babies (chickens) out and seen a lot of feathers scattered about 😞 and as I was walking up to the chicken coop I see one of our babies (chickens) laying there lifeless as I turned to our green house where I chickens sleep I see the metal bottom of the screen door is gone😭. I all ready new the fate of our babies (chickens). As I went inside to tell the wife she could see the exspression on my face🥺. She immediately says “what happen”? I am about to explain to her when our children walk in to the room and they can definitely tell something is wrong. So I had to explain to my 4-6-9 year old that a dog had malled our chickens. My children are now devastated about there chickens being gone. We put up cameras around our house because we had one chicken come up missing once before. It was a hard video to watch and see our babies (chickens) try and scramble out of the green house. Our fence is secured and we have brick fencing around our entire back yard the small walk-in gate was no match for this big black dog and neither was our metal-screen door. We did find where the dog resides and also found one of our babies (chickens) in there front yard. We did notify animal control and hope that they handle this the way it should be we have went to the alley neighbor house and knocked with no response. We are hoping to find some more babies (chickens) and will be doing some more fence proofing before we do get more chickens. Chickens 🐓

Attachments

• 2769F358-C07E-404C-A498-C9590E386679.jpeg
    2769F358-C07E-404C-A498-C9590E386679.jpeg
    378.7 KB · Views: 60
  • F507EA36-C207-48CD-97D3-0118C48C0DDE.jpeg
    F507EA36-C207-48CD-97D3-0118C48C0DDE.jpeg
    922.2 KB · Views: 50
How heartbreaking for everybody! I am sorry for the loss of your chickens and the horrific way they died. I am sorry for your kids because I'm sure they are devastated. I'm sorry for you because it's tough to lose chickens, no matter your age.

And, I am sorry for the dog -- who was just being a dog. The owner has an ethical and legal responsibility to keep his or her dog under control; it's entirely possible that the dog will suffer consequences because the owner didn't take proper steps to keep your pets and their own safe.

I know how hard it is to rebuild after a flock and a coop after a predator attack. Please let us know when you get more chickens.

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

:hugs I hope it's not too hard on the kids.
Thank you and the kids are heart broken we have had them since they were babies they loved to get chased by the chickens. They would let us pet them and hold them and let us know when they were mad they knew when I clapped and whistles it was time to come eat or go inside there coop they were some very smart chickens

How heartbreaking for everybody! I am sorry for the loss of your chickens and the horrific way they died. I am sorry for your kids because I'm sure they are devastated. I'm sorry for you because it's tough to lose chickens, no matter your age.

And, I am sorry for the dog -- who was just being a dog. The owner has an ethical and legal responsibility to keep his or her dog under control; it's entirely possible that the dog will suffer consequences because the owner didn't take proper steps to keep your pets and their own safe.

I know how hard it is to rebuild after a flock and a coop after a predator attack. Please let us know when you get more chickens.
Yes I totally agree that it is hard all around Especially for the pets and livestock. I am hoping that the pet owner pays for damages and loss it’s the least he/she can do. I’m not asking for the dog to be put down I’m asking for the owner to take some responsibility as I myself am taking responsibility for not checking my gate correctly we. Do have a pad lock on the gate and I didn’t realize that the gate would open if you just pushed it there was a metal bar sticking out of the concrete but it’s on the wrong side we just purchased the house and didn’t real think it threw so I myself take some of that responsibility

So sorry for you loss. I hope you took plenty of pictures and of the bird that was in the dog owners yard. I have several game cameras on my property and see predators on at least one camera most nights. Here the predators mainly roam at night. I put electric wires around my coops and pens, good heavy duty netting covering the pens and concrete under the gates. I have hardware cloth covering all windows and on the doors all due to losses from predators in the past. Good luck...
http://www.poultrydvm.com/featured-infographic/tips-for-protecting-poultry-from-predators

So sorry for you loss. I hope you took plenty of pictures and of the bird that was in the dog owners yard. I have several game cameras on my property and see predators on at least one camera most nights. Here the predators mainly roam at night. I put electric wires around my coops and pens, good heavy duty netting covering the pens and concrete under the gates. I have hardware cloth covering all windows and on the doors all due to losses from predators in the past. Good luck...
http://www.poultrydvm.com/featured-infographic/tips-for-protecting-poultry-from-predators
I’m so sorry for your loss. I couldn’t even imagine how much pain you and your family are in 😞
We are all here for you through this tough time :hugs
I’m so sorry for your loss. I couldn’t even imagine how much pain you and your family are in 😞
We are all here for you through this tough time :hugs
thank you that is much appreciated and we will do some more predator proofing next time around

Back
Top Bottom