¿¿¿Rooster that lays eggs???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mjdtexan, Jan 22, 2009.

1. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    I was googleing how long a hen will lay eggs and I stumbled on this ARTICLE <-------klick

A rooster is, of course, a male chicken, and only hens, or female chickens, lay eggs. But every now and then, a disease may cause a rooster to change its gender and become a hen, or vice-versa. Some of these roosters-turned-hens have actually laid eggs!

But this still does not mean that a rooster can lay an egg; it's still true that only a female chicken can lay an egg. The most we can say about the rooster's egg-laying ability is that some roosters that turn into hens can lay eggs.

Sometimes, small, misshapen eggs found in a hen house are called "rooster's eggs." But these are simply hen eggs that failed to develop properly.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    [​IMG] what

3. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Eeeww... I hope THAT disease never comes to OUR coop [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I want to say a while back someone posted something like this. Where the chickens changes is sex. Still wild if you ask me.

5. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    I guess its true we learn somthing every day

6. RobotChicken

RobotChicken Chicken TV Addict

Oct 16, 2008
    Colorado Baby!
    I remember reading a paper a while back that showed under the correct conditions hens could spontaneously switch gender to male, in order to fertilize eggs and continue the flock.

I haven't found this paper since, but it makes sense when you think about going from XX to XY chromosomes. And when you think about it from an evolutionary standpoint once that one in a million chance spontaneous gender change occurs that genetic trait would be able to be carried on every easily.

Interesting to think about, all the roosters get killed off, and a hen spontaneously changes to male to ensure propagation of the flock/species.

Hard for me to imagine a rooster becoming female though.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  7. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    Sorts like how they had the first "pregnant man" which was really a lady who ( for the kids sake) had a special surgery... So the "pregnant man" isn't really a man... Stupid reporting if you ask me

8. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    I'm sorry, did I get off topic??

9. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    A rooster that lays is a HEN [​IMG] But a hen that crows IS NOT a rooster. Go figure [​IMG]

10. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Quote:¿¿¿Que pasa???

Quote:It never bothers me when someone gets off topic. I do it all the time.

Next time someone ask you "whats up" you tell em "a chickens butt when it eats"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by