¿Wet Chicken Run?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mjdtexan, Feb 15, 2009.

1. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Some of my chickens run is wet from the rain we have had in the last couple of days. Their coop is off of the ground and the floor is wood, so they are dry inside and can go inside when they feel like it. I noticed that they like to run around in the water. Now, about two thirds of the run does not have standing water but the soil is wet. Is this ok? Should I leave them inside during periods like this? Sometimes they even play in a light shower. I am worried about disease. They will be 16 weeks on Wednesday.

Mike D

2. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

As long as they have a place to get dry afterwards, I wouldn't worry. Here in Oregon, my chickens are so tired of the rain! They would never go outside in the rain!

3. consdrs

consdrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    I live in Vancouver WA and if my chickens didn't go out when it was wet... they would never get to go out!! Our run is covered but it still gets plenty wet inside. I swear it rains sideways... [​IMG] Rain, wind, sleet, hail and 2' of snow will not keep them in the coop. They always have the option to go out and out they go.

OTOH If your chickens start to resemble ducks.... then you might want to rethink letting them out.

My coop page
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=8400

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by