‘Free ranging’ My Flock - Help with Fence Height

Lemon-Drop

Let Your Light Shine ~ Matthew 5:16 🤍✝️
Mar 5, 2021
Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
First off, I apologize if this is the wrong area to post this. Please move it if needed :)

Secondly, my question.

Background:

Unfortunately, due to avian influenza, predators, and neighbors, my flock has been unable to free range for a while. Luckily HPAI is no longer a big risk for me. While I do worry about predators - I know this might be controversial - my flock loves to forage and be in the grass, and I think it’s best for them to have happy lives and take the potential risk rather than living long, safe lives without the joy of foraging.

The last issue is neighbors - I have neighbors on both sides of their run. Not super close, but the flock often wanders into their yards. I have a good relationship with my neighbors, and while they actually enjoy the chickens in their yards, one has a young dog that eats their poop and makes her sick (and also chases birds) and the other has a garden that my flock likes to dust bathe in. So, they politely asked if I could keep the flock in my yard, which I’m very happy to do. But, since the chickens don’t understand boundaries, I think putting up a small, temporary fence would be helpful.

So, I get that this really isn’t free ranging, as they’ll technically be confined to a fenced area, but they definitely enjoy the grass (their run, while large, is grass less at the moment).

So anyways, I want to put up an inexpensive fence to deter them from the neighbors yards. I was thinking just a safety fence with some stakes would work - I don’t think it needs to be super strong, but just to stop them from so easily going into the other yards.

My main question is how tall it should be. I don’t have much of a budget, and I know that the taller the more expensive…

So, my question is:
How tall should the fence be?

Thanks so much!

So, I get that this really isn’t free ranging, as they’ll technically be confined to a fenced area, but they definitely enjoy the grass (their run, while large, is grass less at the moment).

Definition of "free ranging" varies but, regardless of that definition, it is your absolute responsibility to keep your livestock on your own land. :)

I love my Premier 1 electric poultry netting. I got the 48" one. https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/poultrynet-plus-48-inch-starter-kit?cat_id=160

Back
Top Bottom