“Sapphire” genders/combs CCLxLH

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kris5902, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Kris5902

Kris5902 Crowing

Oct 12, 2018
    British Columbia, Canada
    I bought 10 straight run “sapphire” chicks, a Crested Cream Legbar cock over Leghorn hens. At about 2.5 weeks now and I have 6 which are clearly getting named Foghorn, Soup, Soup, Stew, and I’ll have to pick another Keeper name... they all have large, bright single combs. The three clear pullets have essentially no comb at all, one is 10 days older than the others, one is average size, and one is a runt I didn’t think was going to make it but has surprised me.

I have one chick that confuses me though... it seems to have a pea or rose comb developing, and I’m not sure about it’s gender, or even if it’s the same x-breed. My older chick was a replacement (I think a hold back because the breeder also sells pullets at a much higher price) for a “mis-sorted leghorn boy” that made it into my box. Pics to follow...

drumstick diva and JedJackson like this.
  2. JedJackson

JedJackson Crossing the Road

Jul 6, 2016
    NW Washington state
    Okay, we'll wait for pics. We can't tell you much without them, but the one with the pea or rose comb definitely has different ancestry than the others, because legbars and leghorns both have single combs, and crossing them would give chicks with single combs.

3. Animals45

Animals45 Crowing

Nov 8, 2018
    Need pictures please?

drumstick diva likes this.
  4. Kris5902

Kris5902 Crowing

Oct 12, 2018
    British Columbia, Canada
    Boys x2, my oddball x2, a girl x2

Attached Files:

drumstick diva and Bonniebooboo like this.
  5. Kris5902

Kris5902 Crowing

Oct 12, 2018
    British Columbia, Canada
    Sorry for the wait... chores had to happen, and we only have recycling once a week here so taking that in before they close was a priority! Thanks for all your input! I’m thinking of getting more hatching eggs from this breeder, so I’d like to know if I’m getting the short end of the deals... eggs seem to be my best bet for %pullets so far...

drumstick diva and Bonniebooboo like this.
  6. JedJackson

JedJackson Crossing the Road

Jul 6, 2016
    NW Washington state
    You already have a good grasp on their sexes. The oddball with the pea comb is probably a cockerel, judging by the comb size at that early age. But it's worth waiting to see what happens. As for breed, probably a Leghorn crossed with some pea comb breed. Which one is hard to say.

7. Kris5902

Kris5902 Crowing

Oct 12, 2018
    British Columbia, Canada
    I’m thinking I’ll just get hatching eggs going forward... 70% cockerels and they were almost a week old when I picked them up? They might have been sexed and I’m a rooster dump. At $15/chick I’m going to keep hoping on the oddball being a pullet... i would take excess cockerels and grow them out for meat (I know they aren’t going to be big!) but not at that price!

drumstick diva likes this.
  8. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    I make and sell Sapphires. I cannot sex them as day old chicks. By the time they are 3 weeks old it is usually pretty easy to pick out the cockerels. Some are even sexable as cockerels at two weeks.

Kris5902 likes this.
  9. Kris5902

Kris5902 Crowing

Oct 12, 2018
    British Columbia, Canada
    They were supposed to be 5days old when they were advertised... I picked them up 3 days later, I could just be unlucky. The ratio on the hatching eggs I got was more even though. I am guessing they are actually closer to 4 weeks old. I just looked at my calendar, and checked my email... they were supposedly 5 days old on November 17 so they are closer to 4 1/2 or 5 weeks now.
    What do you think of the odd comb for a sapphire?

10. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    At this age, you can definitely tell which ones are cockerels.
    As the others have said that is not the comb of a Sapphire. I have never gotten anything but a single comb from any Sapphires that I have hatched. Single combs can look a little shortened on the ones that get a crest but they look nothing like that comb. It is most likely a different hybrid. There is also the tiny possibility that it could be a mutation.

Kris5902 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: