“She” started crowing this morning

MommA2K

Songster
Apr 13, 2020
Central MN
😞 it was a bittersweet moment when I heard that odd noise. I’ve suspected he was a cockerel for a couple weeks now, but this morning there was no denying the fact that Beatrice is in fact Brutus.

I’ve found him a good home though, so that helps ease the pain. I’m still upset that I’m losing a bird in my already small flock. I really wanted to have 4, but as a first time chicken keeper I don’t want to go through the process of integrating a single pullet to the other 3 that I already have.

Not looking for any advice really, just some random babbling to strangers that also have a place in their heart for chickens.

This is a good decision. REALLY. I think roosters take experience, and really a lot more room than a set up that is good for 3-4 birds is probably not enough room. And it is better for him too, to be where being a rooster is ok, no collar or keeping him in a box with no light so he does not crow.

But we are chicken people, and we do understand,

Mrs K

Aww, that's sad. But, did you know that hens can crow? They occasionally do without the presence of a rooster. So unless there were multiple signs pointing to roo before the crow, you may still have a hen. Do you have any pics of him/her?

Aww, that's sad. But, did you know that hens can crow? They occasionally do without the presence of a rooster. So unless there were multiple signs pointing to roo before the crow, you may still have a hen. Do you have any pics of him/her?
The most recent picture I have is my avatar, but I’ll get some this evening when I’m home!

Back
Top Bottom