“Simple” question about breeding a barred rooster to various hens.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by GulfBamaChick, Sep 3, 2014.

1. GulfBamaChick

GulfBamaChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2014
    Mobile Bay Area
    Below is my mixed barred rooster (video of him for better view ). I have various “breeds”/breeds of hens including: Red sexlinks, JBG, a “wild-duck” patterned EE, a white EE, and white cochins. Eventually I would like to hatch a few eggs to increase my eggs intake/meat as I sell a lot of baked goods. I am not a big fan of having a bunch of black barred chickens in my flock, I like variety. So my question is, will most of the offspring be black barred? He has red, green, and orange throughout his body, and the barring is actually more gold-black barring. I may look at getting an EE roo in my mix if most of Cecil’s (the rooster) off spring will be black barred. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  2. GulfBamaChick

Mar 21, 2014
    Mobile Bay Area
    Anyone?​

3. If you breed him to a lighter-colored hen, the chicks should also be lighter colored. They will be somewhat barred, of course, but they will not look exactly like the father.

4. GulfBamaChick

Mar 21, 2014
    Mobile Bay Area
    So they will be barred in various colors or lighter black barred?

5. Cross-breeds are very hard to predict, especially barred crosses. It sounds like the main thing that you are looking for is variety, and if you cross the barred rock rooster with your assortment of breeds, (EE, Cochin, etc.) you should get lots of interesting variety!

6. GulfBamaChick

Mar 21, 2014
    Mobile Bay Area
    Yes, I just don’t want a bunch of barre rock looking chickens lol. I actually like cream/white colors and LOVE the wild duck pattern on the EE.

7. Well, all of your chicks will have Barred Rock traits.

8. GulfBamaChick

Mar 21, 2014
    Mobile Bay Area
    By “traits” do you mean shape and such? I don’t mind that, I just don’t want all or 50% black barred chickens. I know pure bread rooster passes 2 genes, and mixed is supposed to pass one barred gene which means 50% of the offspring are barred, but does that mean barred in any color or black?

9. It's hard to say. I have cross bred several breeds of chicken, but barred rock is not one of them. They all will probably have some barring, but not on their whole body.

10. Old Rando

Old Rando Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    He is a mixed rooster with only one copy of barring. Each of his offspring will have a fifty percent chance of receiving the barring gene. If any of the chicks receive a copy of the barring gene it's expression will depend on the other genetics it receives from the other parent.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by