1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

☃Fermented feed in the Winter ☃

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Newmamabear, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Newmamabear

Newmamabear Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Alberta
    What's your best tricks for fermented feed in the winter? I've had challenges in the heat of summer with it fermenting super strong super fast but was able to solve that by smaller batches. For winter I was thinking my DL may make enough heat to keep a tupperware tub of feed thawed and cookin'. Has anyone else done this? I'm thinking if I dig a big hole to sink it in and then bank the sides it might just work... Thoughts?

2. par0027

par0027 New Egg

Oct 3, 2016
    Well what we do is we make the feed so as in we put oats, cranberries, seed, garlic powder and corn and pour hot water in then mix it up and put in in a tub aware container and leave it inside until I use it, try it and tell me if it worked for you

3. Newmamabear

Newmamabear Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Alberta
    Thanks [​IMG] I've got a good mix already that the birdies love. Just trying to gather the brainstorms for keeping it thawed and cooking in an unheated coop. I know a lot of people work it in the house but I would rather not as our house is small and cozy and I believe it may be a little too fragnant [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by