What breeds do you normally use for hatching?

• Orpingtons

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Cochins (bantam and/or standards)

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Silkies

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Easter Eggers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Marans

• Rhode Islands

• Sex-Links

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Wyandottes

• Various Bantams

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Other (please post below :) )

• Total voters

LilJoe

Crowing
5 Years
Jul 15, 2016
Missouri
First and foremost, I would like to welcome you to Natural Hatching- A Broody Thread.
Here you may chat about anything (or I guess, anyone) broody. Whether they're ducks, geese, or even pigeons (don't forget about the chickens!) post pictures, stories, or you breeding plan of action. Yes, I know, it's fall, but I know some of you couldn't resist letting these hens go broody. ;)
I've already got that anxious feeling in my stomach for spring. In my mind, spring equals broodies, broodies equal chicks, chicks equals adventures, and the the equations repeat themselves!
Anyways, I hope you can join me ,and I can join you, on our broody adventures!

~LilJoe

Sort of anyone who becomes broody, Favorelles and Domique bantamss. Especially the Dominique bantam.

We have free range chickens. A Dominique bantam decided to hatch. We didn't notice she was not in the coop at night for 15 days or so. She was out sometimes during the day. I found out she was missing. It took four days of following her to find her nest. I found her nest and two days later, chicks! The remarkable thing is she was locked out of the coop for five days, she had to find her own food and water.

Dominique and mix chicks. Later on we had to sell a broody, so we gave her a Buckeye chick. It took her a while to gain it's trust

Well I was thinking of natural hatching this spring/early summer. I have 2 buff orps, and a chick that is possibly a silkie cochin cross. The orps we know were born August 2nd. The chick we are not sure, because it just got delivered to a petting farm that needed to later get rid of him and boom--our chick! So do you think these breeds could possibly be broody this spring/early summer? (Here's a pic of the chick)
45F692FD-EB5B-45A7-AFAB-1FBA7534CF11.jpeg

Orpingtons? YES! They will most likely go broody. I too have two Orpingtons. Although, they are Lavender.
Cute chick btw! ;)

Back
Top Bottom