♦♦ What Way Will I Positon Eggs!!!!! ♦♦

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Shauna's Silkies, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Shauna's Silkies

Shauna's Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ireland :D
    Hi all, is there a certain way to position chick eggs for hatching!!!!...... please help thanks... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Shauna's Silkies :

Hi all, is there a certain way to position chick eggs for hatching!!!!...... please help thanks... [​IMG]

Yes, broad end up (the air cell end), pointy end down.

Assuming you have racks. If you have an R-Com or just a foam 'bator with wire and no racks, they can either just lay naturally, or in the case of the foam one, many people set them in egg cartons.​

3. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    During incubation, pointy side down. For hatching, I lay my eggs on their sides, but some people leave their eggs in the bottom part of an egg carton, pointy side down.

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

IF you use an egg carton.. make sure you cut the bottom off of each cell of the carton to allow for better air flow

5. Shauna's Silkies

Shauna's Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ireland :D
    But doesnt the egg need to be in the incubator!!! ... and i taught they had to stay on there side!!!!

6. StrayMagnet

StrayMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    TO add to this questiong..

If I was to use egg cartons. and do the End to End method.. When you trn them.. (fat end X.. point the o). When You turn... I"d put the X in the Down and the o in the top.. and each turn I'd just Turn it from X to 0 Correct?

and when in lockdown.. they should be positon in the X POsition?

but if on their sides.. It don't matter if X or O is on top rite?

I'm thinking on attempting this soon.. going to look into coolers soon. bit enough that I can have mabey half end to end.. half natural to see what the hatch ratio is.
    I just need to read more on hatching first. and figure where to put to put them. ect. as I have cats. and they'd most likey attach the chicks. so Mabey m room. or my master bathroom as they are not allowed in my room.

7. StrayMagnet

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    Shauna's Silkies :

But doesnt the egg need to be in the incubator!!! ... and i taught they had to stay on there side!!!!

well yes, you'd be placing the eggs in the Incubator IN the cartons..

so I'd not use foam cartons.. use the cardboard ones. or the ones they make special for incubators.
    I know very little about this subject an i'm just learning too but what I have read. I do know that they make cartons for this purpose.. but also you can use regular egg cartons. just I'd not use the foam.​

8. yinepu

Quote:you don't need an X and an O for eggs that are sitting upright in a carton

if using egg cartons you don't "turn the eggs" as such.. .. just put something under one edge of the carton to raise it a bit.. then when you "turn the eggs" move it to the other side of the egg carton to lift that side.. IF the eggs will be too close to the heating element (i don't know what kind of incubator you have).. some people will leave the egg carton laying flat unside the incubator and lift the side of the incubator itself with something like a book under one side.. so the entire incubator is lifted on one side... then to turn the eggs they move the book (or whatever they are using) on the other side.. yeah.. i know .. clear as mud.. ok. if an egg in a carton is normally like this l when sitting upright .. when you put a book or whatever under one side of the bator or carton it will make the egg like this / and when you move the book or whatever you have under the one side to the other the eggs will be like this \\

9. yinepu

oh.. and to add.. you ALWAYS keep the large end of the egg UP when standing upright in an incubator.. never ever have the pointed end up

10. StrayMagnet

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    Quote:Quote:now THIS makes sense!!!! with the egg carton method!! THANK YOU!!! lol. so I basicaly just Tilt it From side to side. as to say

I don't have a incubator yet. I was thinking on using a foam cooler.. or buying a small cheep one somewhere. to start. I wont be hatching so many at a time. not this year anyway.

but I like the idea of the egg cartons. I can save the cardboard ones from the store

but the \\ / method makes more sence when you explain it like that... mabey you can make a lil Picture tut. using plastic easter eggs showing this [​IMG]. I want to try a bit of both methods like i said so I'm going to make my incubator in a large foam cooler.. so i can have enough room to put a egg carton. and still have room to lay eggs down.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by