✧ ✿ EcoGlow OR Classic Red Heat Lamp???? ✿ ✧

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hanh3197, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Hanh3197

Hanh3197 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Bay Area
    What's better to use? I've read good things and bad about the ecoglow, but also horrible fire stories about heat lamps....
    I was going to use a heat lamp..... but now I dunno .. [​IMG]
    Anyone with experience? Opinions? Stories?

2. 1shotcleaner

1shotcleaner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    duke center pa 16729
    what are you raising and what type of bruder are you going to use?

3. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I have both in two different brooders. And I prefer the ecoglow BY FAR. No having to adjust the lamp to make sure the temperatures are OK, just the height. No having to worry about bulb replacement. No having to worry about overheating. And the ecoglow only runs on 18 watts of electricity, which is fantastic! With heat bulbs, a lot of energy they use goes into light production, not heat. I am going to get a ceramic heat emitter if I need to continue using a lamp with two brooders. At least that uses about 60-80 watts and that energy isn't lost in light.

4. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

If you plan to brood often the ecoglow would probably be easier and more convenient. Since we only plan to have this one batch of chicks (at least until they get too old to lay) we went with a heat lamp.

5. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    ecoglow rocks. I'll never use anything else. I just plop the chicks under it and they are happy. No worries about fire, overheating, etc. Hardly any pasty butt since I started using it either. Love it so much I have two of them! [​IMG]

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've used heat lamps several times. Stupid things are expensive, and some blow out way too soon, in my experience. I've read of their exploding, too. They don't seem to do much damage to the light bill, though. Mostly I use broodies now, but if I were planning on doing much more brooding in a brooder, I'd find another way.

I wonder how much heat you are going to need, anyway, this time of year, especially if they are outdoors. I had to brood some chicks this spring (I don't brood indoors) and wound up turning the heat off around 3 weeks of age, because they were avoiding it, crowding up 3' away from it, even with nighttime lows in the 60's at the time.

7. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    If you are going to use a heat lamp this is the only one I use... it is 28.00 thru Preimer1 http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=18266 Safest you will find. I also just started using radiant heat panels like you would the eco brooder. I use these in the winter in the coops over the roosts... but figured they would work just like the brinsea brooders... I am using one of the smaller ones right now on some chicks.... I am liking the panel heaters http://www.sweeterheater.com/bizweb.asp .........just my $.02 [​IMG]

8. Hanh3197

Hanh3197 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Bay Area
    I'm going to raise 3 mille fleur bantams and 3 tiny serama chicks first, and then when they're feathered out I'll get 10 standard chicks.
    Do feed stores carry the brinsea brooder? I don't really want to order online....

9. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    1) How does the eco glow work for brooding large numbers of chicks in the same brooder?

2) I brood a lot of my chicks in a box outdoors in the summer so the temp away from the heat lamp is much cooler then in the house, would think make a huge difference?

10. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    This is my first year with chicks / chickens. I started out using the regular red heat lamp. I didn't like that I had to leave it running all day while we were at work, it just made me uncomfortable, AND they kept burning out! I read about the Ecoglow here on BYC, and ordered one. Uses less electricity, and seems much safer. The chicks really seem to like it too. And, as a bonus, they get on a day/night schedule because you don't have a lamp on 24/7. I don't know how many I will be brooding in the future (lots if I had MY way [​IMG] ) but I think the Ecoglow was worth every penny. Ideally I'd like to get another so I could have two set at different heights in the same brooder, one for smaller chicks, one for older chicks, or to have two brooders set up in the future. Don't know why I'd need to do that, but like to have the option. However, at this time I can't afford another one. It says you can keep "up to 20 chicks warm" with the small one, but I just don't see how they would all fit under there! I think I wouldn't do more than 10, (which is what I have, but my almost 4 week olds are too big to fit under it at the lowest height, and don't seem to want to get under it anyways!

In short, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Ecoglow, and so do my chicks [​IMG]

Oh - regarding the outdoor temps, I think it says the ambient "room" temp shouldn't be below 50 degrees when you are using the Ecoglow.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by