❤ ☆ ✾ ☞ California Gray/Production Black chickens? ☜ ✾ ☆ ❤

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Hanh3197, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Hanh3197

Hanh3197 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Bay Area
    I'm getting 2 soon and it's really hard to find any pics of them or info about them at all! [​IMG]
    Anyone have any California Gray/Production Black chicks/chickens? Also are they docile, nice, mellow,
    calm,flighty, noisy, easily broody???? Need more info please! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    THANKS! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  2. danhonour

danhonour Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Dutchess County,NY
    I hear the Califonia Grays are calm and very productive,should be more popular.

3. Hanh3197

Hanh3197 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Bay Area
    Thanks for the info!
    Anyone else owns one with some experience?
    [​IMG]

4. Chikn-Chik

Chikn-Chik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Tellico Plains, TN
    I've been looking too!! Right now I have 3 Cali gray eggs under a bantam, I hope the hatch!! I had no idea this breed existed, till I looked up what a cross between a white leghorn and barred rock looks like. I also hear that they are kinda rare.

5. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Quote:Did you get any of these? If so, How are they doing?

6. cielo

cielo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Mattawa, Washington
    I have some that are still young, almost 4 weeks. I hatched mine from eggs I got from a breeder. They were developed from a cross, as were pretty much all chickens. They are an actual breed and breed true. You can't just cross a BR and a WL and expect to get a CG. Mine are more flighty than any brown egg layer I've had. They are my first white egg layers.
    California Grays are rare and excellent white egg layers. When a California Grey rooster is crossed with a White Leghorn female a California White hybrid is produced and the chicks can be feather sexed at hatching. Which I plan to do.
    California Grays are great birds also because they are autosexing and can be easily sexed at a young age because males are much lighter in color than the females.
    [​IMG]

7. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Quote:They're not rare.

8. cielo

Jul 13, 2011
    Mattawa, Washington
    Quote:They're not rare.

They are around here! Everything I've read about them has said they are rare and not many hatcheries or breeders raise them. Doesn't matter if they are "rare" or not though. I like them! [​IMG]

9. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

therre easy to get. got mine at ideal

[​IMG]

10. cielo

Jul 13, 2011
    Mattawa, Washington
    Quote:That's a great photo. I love the tail!

Yeah, kinda make you wonder what a "rare breed" even is anymore if you can get pretty much every breed listed on the ALBC's site at several major hatcheries...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by