āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

Oh, wise one, since I will be starting a staggered hatch this weekend and desire to keep the chickies separate, how many days apart is optimum? Malted Milk Balls have been cooking for 5 days today. If I wait until Sunday, I'll have a dozen from Set1 that probably isn't fertile.
I should wait another day to candle. Really, I should wait.
Just make sure you have access to all of it. Those itty bitty doors are difficult to catch birds through.
I have no parameters for how far apart I set them. Generally they're about a week apart, since that's about the max amount of time I prefer to store eggs before I set them. Sometimes a day apart, sometimes two weeks. It's very random. I keep the lockdown dates written on all the eggs, lol.

I have no parameters for how far apart I set them. Generally they're about a week apart, since that's about the max amount of time I prefer to store eggs before I set them. Sometimes a day apart, sometimes two weeks. It's very random. I keep the lockdown dates written on all the eggs, lol.
On the eggs, not the wall. Got it. You have a very convoluted system.

Generally, a week. So I should stick with Sunday and figure out a way to keep the chicks off the eggs as I hand turn until lockdown. Got it.

Being insane is a lot of work. :p

I should wait another day to candle. Really, I should wait.
:lau :lau :lau I literally candle every single day starting with the first 24 hours. I canā€™t help it and really, how is that different from the hen getting up to eat and make big poopy? Itā€™s so cool, seeing the little guys develop. I love it!

:lau :lau :lau I literally candle every single day starting with the first 24 hours. I canā€™t help it and really, how is that different from the hen getting up to eat and make big poopy? Itā€™s so cool, seeing the little guys develop. I love it!
When I candle, I pull the ones that look clear. Sometimes too early? Best to wait, but here we are. I had 9 red ones. They weren't clear, but they didn't show veins. Couple more days, then pull. See if any get their act together.

29 started - 5 pulled (really clear)
24 remain
11 w/veins
9 red
4 clear with a hint of something that I left.

But yes, it is really neat to see.

When I candle, I pull the ones that look clear. Sometimes too early? Best to wait, but here we are. I had 9 red ones. They weren't clear, but they didn't show veins. Couple more days, then pull. See if any get their act together.

24 remain
11 w/veins
9 red

Of 24 I pulled 5 clears on the 10th day and one EQ a few days before that. I filled their slots with 6 more home-grown eggs. Four are developing, but itā€™s only day four for them. Iā€™ll give them their ten full days, but theyā€™re probably not fertile. Still, you never can tell...

24 remain
11 w/veins
9 red

Do you have 20 that are growing?

Nutty you're confusing me with this red.
Is red good?

Back
Top Bottom