➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

We now have 12 baby quail in a brooder! Thanks for the encouragement! They like old TP tubes for tunnels to run thru or sleep in!
IMG_20200710_105149365.jpg

I had no anxiety until today when I set them up for lockdown. They’re not moving or anything. The kids and I just stared at the incubator for like 10 full minutes 😂
Did you candle them? I usually candle mine when I put them in lockdown since I'm handling the eggs anyways. I don't often see movement at that point. The most active seems to be at around 7 days.

Did you candle them? I usually candle mine when I put them in lockdown since I'm handling the eggs anyways. I don't often see movement at that point. The most active seems to be at around 7 days.

I didn’t today, it was too bright and I had a panic moment when my water container was too tall for the hatching tray, so I put them back right after solving that problem. I did candle at day 7 for viability and had appropriate (I think) development in 14/18!

My SSC and Rosetta started hatching today... They are 2 days early and my incubator has been at a stable temp and humidity the whole time. Every time quail are 2 days early and bantam chickens.

I just bought a 50 gallon storage bin today because I want to have enough room for the quail and turkens. There are only 8 turkens and I am sure that only 6 or so will hatch.

So far 6 have hatched. I can’t wait to get some SSC in my breeder aviary.

We had to get a quail today in the woods. It wanted to go back to the aviary, but had escaped the aviary somehow and flew over the 8 ft fencing. It wasn’t too hard to catch, it was so calm and pretty much went right into my hand. My quail are quite tame now.

One more popped out, going to give them to tomorrow and see what happens.

So roughly five weeks in and they are getting big. It looks like we got 9 males 11 females, and one white that I don't know what it is yet. Worked out perfect since I wanted 10 females and two males for future breeding. Also ordered an additional set of eggs from a different source to get the breeding in full swing.

Back
Top Bottom