➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Just checked on my quail eggs in the hatcher and the first one has hatched!

ETA: Quick question, is it okay to use wood shavings in the brooder with the quail chicks, or is it recommended to use straw (like fresh flock bedding) like with pheasants?
There are many different schools of thought for bedding. I personally don't give any bedding for my baby quail (or any birds I've hatched) except the grippy kitchen shelf liner until they are at least a few days old, then I add shavings. Other people have used other flooring types for their brooders and it works for them.

if your shavings are pine shavings or at the very least not cedar, they should be fine. Bigger shavings are better than small shavings that the quail could try to eat.

ETA: Quick question, is it okay to use wood shavings in the brooder with the quail chicks, or is it recommended to use straw (like fresh flock bedding) like with pheasants?
Recommend paper towels. Scatter food on it. The babies peck & eat everything. Don’t want them filling up on shavings dust.

You don’t want slippery either. That will cause splay leg & other issues.

When dirty, add another layer of towel.

Paper towels and grippy paper work for the first week.

20200917_181746.jpg

Yes, we have eggs. I am down to 6 hens, but the eggs should be fertile. Did you get moved and settled? Is this the new place?

Be careful with that large a door. Mine rocketed past my head when I lift the lid on the chicken tractor and the front doors on my coops. Gotta keep a tight meshed net around. The dogs will help.

@muddy75 have you considered an air lock double door arrangement on your aviary to keep the birds inside? Like the walk in aviaries at the zoo. Enter first door. Close it. Open second door. Enter the big space.
yes we have!! we are actually considering turning that gate into a service e ntrance only and installing a door in the back of the shed into the chicken/rabbit side to enter the aviary through that gate. i have had the occasional escapee through the gate but most of the time we are able to retrieve them easily (quail) even without the net. my gate has a spring closure and carabiner through the latch for added security.

i use shop paper towels for first week or so....and then shavings....just make sure your waterer is elevated so wicking does not occur

I saw these empty boxes at the grocery store today and thought they will work perfect for freshly hatched chick feeders.
Put a paper towel down first then feed on top and cut the other side of the box so they can have two entrances/exits.
20200918_133002.jpg
20200918_133006.jpg
20200918_133004.jpg

Back
Top Bottom