āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

Nibiki has a metal frame she puts on garden that sounds similar to what you want also. You'll have to search for pictures. She wrapped plastic for a roof. But it doesn't rain much in Cali.
Cali does too get rain. It's been raining off and on for about a week now. :p

I don't want it taller than the window ledges. Access would be from top and what's the difference if it's 1.5', 3' or 8" if the eggs are on the ground no matter what.

As for the flight risk when opening the lid, that's a valid point. Ideally I will not remove the entire roof of a pen at once to connect eggs. Perhaps two seperate opens in the roof centered side to side with one positioned toward the front and one toward the back. The roof is really the thickest part because I want to be able to connect eggs and birds easily while minimizing escapes.

As for cover, there's at least a 12" eave on the sun room and then a maple tree has limbs overhead. I will use a solid material for the pen roof to protect from rain. The sides will be 1/2" hardware cloth to protect from ground predators (primarily possums or hawks who have landed on the ground).
Can you make the opening along one side instead of the roof? Less likely they will try to fly out that way. Or make sure there's lots of hiding places so they can hide instead of freak out and try to fly.

I recommend an egg stick. It's a stick you attach a spiral of wire which has been bent into a cone or egg shape to the end. We have one sized for chicken eggs and it really helps quickly gather eggs from difficult to reach places. You should be able to make one easily with a stick of PVC pipe, some wire, and duct tape.

Cali does too get rain. It's been raining off and on for about a week now. :p

Can you make the opening along one side instead of the roof? Less likely they will try to fly out that way. Or make sure there's lots of hiding places so they can hide instead of freak out and try to fly.

I recommend an egg stick. It's a stick you attach a spiral of wire which has been bent into a cone or egg shape to the end. We have one sized for chicken eggs and it really helps quickly gather eggs from difficult to reach places. You should be able to make one easily with a stick of PVC pipe, some wire, and duct tape.
That sounds better than the slotted spoon I've been using.

I think I know, but want pictures of your handy work. Pictures please. Mine lay in the furthest reaches. Way back corner opposite the door. An egg stick sounds great. Like a golf ball getter? I don't do golf, so google for pictures.

Also, use a net to swoop them. They really don't like being grabbed from above.

Duly noted!
:oops:
they've been sitting at my doorstep for a few hours I just got them in the incubator.

Bbiaf

IMG_20200123_161131.jpg
IMG_20200123_161114.jpg

@Kiki .......did you set your eggs yet??. ......iā€™m waiting for green light......šŸ£
Go.
Just set 2 minutes ago.

I'll be back to catch up asap.
I have a problem....these need my help right now.
There are a few silly ones that aren't looking too hot.
They too have been sitting at my door for a few hours.
IMG_20200123_160957.jpg
JPEG_20200123_162140_1405824316498428403.jpg

Last edited:
That sounds better than the slotted spoon I've been using.
I think I know, but want pictures of your handy work. Pictures please. Mine lay in the furthest reaches. Way back corner opposite the door. An egg stick sounds great. Like a golf ball getter? I don't do golf, so google for pictures.

Also, use a net to swoop them. They really don't like being grabbed from above.

You could tape a small strainer to a stick to use for gathering eggs. In my experience poultry do not get nearly as frightened from a stick slowly moving around like they do when you stick your hand in there.

Back
Top Bottom