āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

Wait, hold on. Quail eat ants? All quail or just Buttons?

I'm just here to learn and see if I can develop a proper pros and cons list persuasive enough to add quail here (and if I can I need to know whatever I can about hatching them), so I am trying to understand whether there is a market for eggs here, which so far I haven't figured out - the local Natural Grocer doesn't have any but the Albertson's does, for $3.49/dozen, so I"m not sure how to interpret, trying to gather more data - but if they eat ants (and mites?), I just found a new hook.

Would imagine they eat anything that crawls, but then again, I have yet from my house boy to eat a grasshopper. Those might be too big though
I have chickens for that, in fact expanded the Naked Neck flock this year specifically for grasshopper control - the Cochins are lovely to look at and live with, but not so good for hunting and eating bugs. The NN are superstars at bug control.

I have chickens for that, in fact expanded the Naked Neck flock this year specifically for grasshopper control - the Cochins are lovely to look at and live with, but not so good for hunting and eating bugs. The NN are superstars at bug control.
Turkeys are the most efficient at hunting grasshoppers. They have very little wasted energy in the process.

I've read a variety of opinions on humidity during incubation. We live where the rh ranges from about mid 20% to the low teens (northern Cali) and I find I cannot "dry hatch" chicken eggs, so I'm assuming I'll need some humidity for these as well. Thoughts?
I'm in northern CA as well with the same kinds of humidity. I keep my quail eggs at around 30% humidity, then raise it to about 50-60% when they start to pip.

Today is lockdown! I removed 6 clear/early quitters.
56 eggs set
50 in lockdown
1593875501557.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom