āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

I'm in northern CA as well with the same kinds of humidity. I keep my quail eggs at around 30% humidity, then raise it to about 50-60% when they start to pip.
Perfect! Thank you!
We are in Redding and this will be my first quail hatching experience. Trying to get as much info front-loaded as possible. Would love any extra tidbits of advice you all may have.

Perfect! Thank you!
We are in Redding and this will be my first quail hatching experience. Trying to get as much info front-loaded as possible. Would love any extra tidbits of advice you all may have.
Don't trust your incubator's temp & humidity readings. Put several calibrated thermometers in different areas of your incubator so you know where the warm and cool spots are. Use a calibrated hygrometer.

I know this thread is a lot of reading, but it's got a lot of good information. If you check the QuailInPetaluma link in my signature and scroll all the way down to the bottom, there are short articles on raising and hatching quail there too.

I'm in northern CA as well with the same kinds of humidity. I keep my quail eggs at around 30% humidity, then raise it to about 50-60% when they start to pip.
Iā€™m in the midwest and without adding water until lockdown I was originally hatching around those same humidities. Since I starting incubating closer to 45% and hatching around 65% my hatches have been better. Fewer malpositioned and fewer shrink wrapped and tough membranes. I was kind of going by what the regulars on here had success with but for whatever reason this seems better for me. So donā€™t be afraid to tweak settings if something isnā€™t working.

Also after bumping my temp up a tiny bit I finally had a batch that started hatching on day 17/18 and everonee was done in 24 hours. Usually it took three days and started late.

Just some thoughts. :)

Little runt is still tiny, but feisty. At least her leg is healing up nicely. I don't now if she makes it into adulthood, how is she even supposed to lay eggs with this size? Fingers crossed she has some kind of growth spurt soon.

Attachments

• IMG_20200704_201557.jpg
    IMG_20200704_201557.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
Iā€™m in the midwest and without adding water until lockdown I was originally hatching around those same humidities. Since I starting incubating closer to 45% and hatching around 65% my hatches have been better. Fewer malpositioned and fewer shrink wrapped and tough membranes. I was kind of going by what the regulars on here had success with but for whatever reason this seems better for me. So donā€™t be afraid to tweak settings if something isnā€™t working.

Also after bumping my temp up a tiny bit I finally had a batch that started hatching on day 17/18 and everonee was done in 24 hours. Usually it took three days and started late.

Just some thoughts. :)
It sounds a lot like doing my chicken eggs (although I've been able to "cheat" a lot this year because I've had so many broodies! Love the mamma hens!)

Little runt is still tiny, but feisty. At least her leg is healing up nicely. I don't now if she makes it into adulthood, how is she even supposed to lay eggs with this size? Fingers crossed she has some kind of growth spurt soon.
From what I've read here, the Coturnix males are often the smaller of the sexes.

Back
Top Bottom