➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

@R2elk I need help/advice.....I have my 2 bb poults remaining i’m thinking about 8-10 weeks the little one is perfectly fine but the bigger one has always had a little trouble with balance and it has been worsening over last couple of weeks. he also seemed to have runny eyes last weekend but that has cleared up now. yesterday was really bad and he was just laying around more. i need to get video, but any ideas off the top of your head?

@R2elk I need help/advice.....I have my 2 bb poults remaining i’m thinking about 8-10 weeks the little one is perfectly fine but the bigger one has always had a little trouble with balance and it has been worsening over last couple of weeks. he also seemed to have runny eyes last weekend but that has cleared up now. yesterday was really bad and he was just laying around more. i need to get video, but any ideas off the top of your head?
@casportpony is our online consultant for sick poultry. I never have the type of issue that you are referring to and if I did, I would cull it immediately. My flock stays very healthy. I may or may not treat for injuries but I do not treat for diseases.

The balance issue sounds like it could be from an inner ear issue which could be caused by some type of respiratory infection.

When I did raise BBWs, I always had better luck by raising more at a time. In the later years I would always get at least 5 poults and would process the toms by the time they were 6 months old. I did keep some BBW hens around to entertain my Bourbon Red tom. He used to kill one every year because I did not know enough to keep him away from their nests.

When I did raise BBWs, I always had better luck by raising more at a time. In the later years I would always get at least 5 poults and would process the toms by the time they were 6 months old. I did keep some BBW hens around to entertain my Bourbon Red tom. He used to kill one every year because I did not know enough to keep him away from their nests.
the past 2 times I’ve started them in august/september I did 3 successfully the first year and 2 successfully even though i had a bit of trouble getting them to eat first few weeks. This time I got earlier start with 4!! I lost the first one in initial 24 hours and 2nd died in subaviary while DS was in charge of their care. this one was “weakest” but largest of the 3 and surprisingly survived to this point. I don’t think it is blackhead as I’ve never had any issues with it in the past.....I’m really leaning toward some type of hatch defect with legs that just didn’t show up as severe until he got this big

the past 2 times I’ve started them in august/september I did 3 successfully the first year and 2 successfully even though i had a bit of trouble getting them to eat first few weeks. This time I got earlier start with 4!! I lost the first one in initial 24 hours and 2nd died in subaviary while DS was in charge of their care. this one was “weakest” but largest of the 3 and surprisingly survived to this point. I don’t think it is blackhead as I’ve never had any issues with it in the past.....I’m really leaning toward some type of hatch defect with legs that just didn’t show up as severe until he got this big
The more turkeys that I start at the same time, the easier it is to get them to eat. Unlike chicks, poults don't go straight to a feeder. What they do is peck at things on the ground. I live on a sand dune so sand is my choice for bedding. I just put a layer of sand down in the brooder and sprinkle turkey starter on top of it. They begin picking at the food on the sand almost immediately and find the feeder in a day or two.

Leg issues with BB turkeys is common if they are not fed a proper high protein turkey or game bird starter. I give mine a 28% protein turkey or game bird starter and never have any issues with their legs. I have done this with both BBs and heritage. You can help out with leg issues by giving vitamin B complex mixed at the rate of 1/2 capsule or tablet dissolved in one gallon of water. Make it the only source of water. It should be made fresh daily.

Good luck.

The more turkeys that I start at the same time, the easier it is to get them to eat. Unlike chicks, poults don't go straight to a feeder. What they do is peck at things on the ground. I live on a sand dune so sand is my choice for bedding. I just put a layer of sand down in the brooder and sprinkle turkey starter on top of it. They begin picking at the food on the sand almost immediately and find the feeder in a day or two.

Leg issues with BB turkeys is common if they are not fed a proper high protein turkey or game bird starter. I give mine a 28% protein turkey or game bird starter and never have any issues with their legs. I have done this with both BBs and heritage. You can help out with leg issues by giving vitamin B complex mixed at the rate of 1/2 capsule or tablet dissolved in one gallon of water. Make it the only source of water. It should be made fresh daily.

Good luck.
Thanks so much!! Main difference in this set of poults I just realized is that I haven’t been giving them the Greek yougurt like the others to help offset any food deficiency 🤔
I will add more of the vitamins and pick up some yogurt for him to see if that helps!!
the recent runny eyes make me think that it might be an inner ear issue too like you mentioned....I will ask @casportpony about treatment recommendation.....I just need to keep him growing for another 6-8 weeks and then he could be culled if necessary but right now he wouldn’t dress out as big as a meat chicken!

Shameless Promotion!

Be sure to enter the 2021 BYC Calendar Contest! https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/2021-byc-calendar-we-need-your-pictures.1389723/

• Post a high-resolution picture in the contest thread that is at least 3,000 pixels wide & 2,000 pixels tall (landscape/sideways mode is best). If you aren't sure of your picture's size, use this: Pictorum Image Analyzer.
  • Landscape mode (cell phone sideways) oriented pictures are preferred. landscape_1.png
  • *No people* in the picture (no faces, fingers, hands, arms, legs, etc.).
  • Limit of 2 pictures per user, one picture per post, please.
  • No watermarks, text, etc. on the image.
  • We want to see the world through your eyes, not through the excessive use of editing tools. However, basic cropping and poop removal is allowed.
  • Chickens only.
  • The deadline for submissions is August 31st.

Last edited:
IMG_20200709_195836293.jpg

I saw pips this morning (Thursday, July 9, 2020) and we have 5 hatches now on Thursday evening! More are pipped, so I am sure there will be more!

Back
Top Bottom