āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

Remember that extremely aggressive Falb Fee hen I had?

Well, she never bothered the cock when I put him in for visits, so one day I just left him. And I don't know what happened, but he gave her a major attitude adjustment, because now she's terrified of everything and spends her days cowering in a corner, sigh. I even moved her out from being with the cock in case it was him she was scared of and into a pen of just hens, and she just hides in the corner crouched down all day.

She's laying eggs and is otherwise healthy. Just terrified instead of extremely aggressive now.

B400E6D1-0983-4862-8B07-923B2ADEB214.jpeg
when I joined mr muddy to begin construction of the winter house today, Miss Nosy Rosie (in the right corner) was right up there ready to help (or looking for treats) šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Do your pheasants and quail do well together? I'm getting some Lady Amhersts shortly. Maybe I'll do some quail in with them :)
Overall Iā€™ve had very few problems with mixed flock....I did introduce the pheasants as chicks though. Occasionally they will bully the newbies but not really any worse than the quail do. I will not keep turkeys in there to this size again though as they are like bulls in a china shop and frequently step on my quail.

i keep trying to play count the quail babies but they wonā€™t hold still!! :oops: :barnie 50 eggs went to lockdown and thereā€™s at least 30 hatched so far!?! it is a jumbo mix from myshire. i have 6-10 ā€œyellersā€, a few egyptian, and bunch of wilds. this is my first batch including white wing so iā€™m not sure what age i will be able to differentiate. iā€™m going to attempt first brooder move around noontime depending on hatch status.....hopefully i can get a more accurate count then!!

i also think that i finally figured out why my last batches were dying in the brooder......my small indoor brooder is a hamster cage and my theory is that the a/c, ceiling fan, and air purifier created just enough ā€œdraftā€ to kill them. ā€œSqueakersā€ seems to be doing great and i have verified that he is eating and drinking. he will be going to the shed brooder today with the quail babies.

Back
Top Bottom