āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

I set up some new breeding pens today. I put the pearl fee hens under a falb fee cock, since I didn't end up with any pearl fee cocks. That breeding will give me pearl fees that are heterozygous for Italian. I'll keep a male of those to put back over the hens.

I put my two adult Egyptian hens in with a lavender cock, to start work on my color project.

I have a white cock and a white hen, and those two will be put together.

I've got a Tibetan tux hen. Can't decide if I want to put her with my Tibetan tux cock, to get Tibetan tux, Tibetan, and white chicks, or if I want to put her with a Tibetan cock to get just Tibetan and Tibetan tux chicks.

Oh, and one of my hens that just started laying gave me this today:

dX7o2c0zdmTD5BJHf6WSwqLxZdAwWJNfDHd1ynXDkmEVjzWoNTN6se46N1eVAwM0-Y_PE2eaW0NSxf2_w40D6j5RmEtPZCMDyil5yaVtXIqJGSO_33vQMuzv2_Gg7_Pgw7ht5B1zkbnw52My4UKzSOP4Z9y7__MtlM9ve2elGEblDm2i5waTkGNx8qrjFUBlIKrRrVg8ggf3y2xpBUr_SKAza8wom06BD21K6OWgskl_TIsuwOPkbeeh4cwttqKQiO-P1l3M6P1QPT8ffDrzBPXUhRsKU6gbKxs8KUsjp_VgFZRROw45IDNbWMNzZiBwhGnGfyhT801mOZPnwwqHZqBvedYGd9MSzT-9d9zpc4eUy0wcl6UIgFaE1E6wWlanwBL_TF_jC505q1-93cJzuQq6VN4g5O9kOWQTnx6L1i5lfJAe2JZpUPPXYaB3HpQ1WQyFi_svWakAUlHNJ9DX7f0rDkLVpZY_aPCxT-OIvXlxX-jK4c7aLbRlPSmiIzEhTnTl4kgeOV0a9n8ydQqV6A1lPuhUV5Wj3FSjZXVlwfRSt3k3MLXzcRMJMdKWTmLqxVwIdUqfyFgScdyIAechsrZK4ZFe70wmP5O4o1U1HYSNfml5QUm95ZHbtSrxZCrMWsD0a8L6p41O_VPIyFZozsr5V34wdmBb4HDJuD1R-7fJZCmO2JfI2nj5z-w9=w1532-h937-no

It's a Celadon egg :) So that's going into the incubator.

I set up some new breeding pens today. I put the pearl fee hens under a falb fee cock, since I didn't end up with any pearl fee cocks. That breeding will give me pearl fees that are heterozygous for Italian. I'll keep a male of those to put back over the hens.

I put my two adult Egyptian hens in with a lavender cock, to start work on my color project.

I have a white cock and a white hen, and those two will be put together.

I've got a Tibetan tux hen. Can't decide if I want to put her with my Tibetan tux cock, to get Tibetan tux, Tibetan, and white chicks, or if I want to put her with a Tibetan cock to get just Tibetan and Tibetan tux chicks.

Oh, and one of my hens that just started laying gave me this today:

dX7o2c0zdmTD5BJHf6WSwqLxZdAwWJNfDHd1ynXDkmEVjzWoNTN6se46N1eVAwM0-Y_PE2eaW0NSxf2_w40D6j5RmEtPZCMDyil5yaVtXIqJGSO_33vQMuzv2_Gg7_Pgw7ht5B1zkbnw52My4UKzSOP4Z9y7__MtlM9ve2elGEblDm2i5waTkGNx8qrjFUBlIKrRrVg8ggf3y2xpBUr_SKAza8wom06BD21K6OWgskl_TIsuwOPkbeeh4cwttqKQiO-P1l3M6P1QPT8ffDrzBPXUhRsKU6gbKxs8KUsjp_VgFZRROw45IDNbWMNzZiBwhGnGfyhT801mOZPnwwqHZqBvedYGd9MSzT-9d9zpc4eUy0wcl6UIgFaE1E6wWlanwBL_TF_jC505q1-93cJzuQq6VN4g5O9kOWQTnx6L1i5lfJAe2JZpUPPXYaB3HpQ1WQyFi_svWakAUlHNJ9DX7f0rDkLVpZY_aPCxT-OIvXlxX-jK4c7aLbRlPSmiIzEhTnTl4kgeOV0a9n8ydQqV6A1lPuhUV5Wj3FSjZXVlwfRSt3k3MLXzcRMJMdKWTmLqxVwIdUqfyFgScdyIAechsrZK4ZFe70wmP5O4o1U1HYSNfml5QUm95ZHbtSrxZCrMWsD0a8L6p41O_VPIyFZozsr5V34wdmBb4HDJuD1R-7fJZCmO2JfI2nj5z-w9=w1532-h937-no

It's a Celadon egg :) So that's going into the incubator.
Congrats on your blue egg! Iā€™ve been working on a 100% line, and so far I have a generation that all hens hatched layed blue, so I have been hoping the Roos from that batch are homozygous for celadon. So far I have 6 laying from their first chicks, and all 6 lay blue, and I had sold some eggs to someone who keeps in touch, and she had like 36 chicks and the hens are all laying, and are all blue layers. I have 2 batches in the grow out, and I got 4 blue eggs from there on Sunday, but honestly I donā€™t check it too strenuously, so it could be 1 hen who layed for 4 days before I noticed. Iā€™m feeling this bodes very well for my boysā€™ genetics.

I candled another third of my eggs today. I'm really, really disappointed in my home bird's performance. I'm up to 17 infertile eggs from them. 3 from the shipped eggs. The weird thing is, I've found 2 eggs from the shipped eggs that didn't have cracks, they had outright holes in them. I haven't seen that before in shipped eggs.
To make you feel better, I switched roos and collected eggs for a week. 17/17 infertile. Candled last night before lock down. Made lock down easy and unplugged everything.

Now we are collecting eggs for BIL. So, I will wait another week. This also tells me that I need to add light. Out of 6 hens, only 2 are laying.

My shipped eggs from Myshire last year, I think I had 6 with holes out of 80 eggs ordered.

To make you feel better, I switched roos and collected eggs for a week. 17/17 infertile. Candled last night before lock down. Made lock down easy and unplugged everything.

Now we are collecting eggs for BIL. So, I will wait another week. This also tells me that I need to add light. Out of 6 hens, only 2 are laying.

My shipped eggs from Myshire last year, I think I had 6 with holes out of 80 eggs ordered.
Wow, what causes the holes? Some type of insect?

I collected most of my HG eggs from my pansy fee pen. They haven't been getting supplemental light, so that's probably why they're infertile. They've been laying regularly, though. I got 8 eggs out of 8 hens yesterday.

I finished candling my Hallowe'en hatch. 4 had holes in them, 20 of my HG were infertile, 4 of the KDale were infertile. That leaves me with 55 eggs.

Quail have given me so many new experiences. Today I'm going to have yet another new experience. A year and a half ago, I was desperately looking for someone to process my quail for me because I didn't think I could do it. Not only have a learned how to do it, I have written an article, and today I teach someone else how.

I finished candling my Hallowe'en hatch. 4 had holes in them, 20 of my HG were infertile, 4 of the KDale were infertile. That leaves me with 55 eggs.

Quail have given me so many new experiences. Today I'm going to have yet another new experience. A year and a half ago, I was desperately looking for someone to process my quail for me because I didn't think I could do it. Not only have a learned how to do it, I have written an article, and today I teach someone else how.
Maybe today is the day I off one myself.
I had an accidental escapee last night.
A male.
I will butcher his 3 females tonight.
I'm thinking a ripping tbe head off and dropping it quickly so I don't feel the fluttering might be doable.

The male didn't even touch the ground with both feet before my helper caught him. He caught him just a little to rough though.

Helper was nice enough to give him back to me after I yelled and begged him not to swallow him whole.

Do roosters from the same group get along better then birds from another group I put a Young rooster in with my flock and my old rooster realy hurt the Young rooster but the three others are getting along fine. The three young roosters came from the same flock but my old one did not. Was hoping to have more then one rooster but my older rooster keeps attacking the other roosters. I have 15 hens and two roosters in my hutch.

Back
Top Bottom