➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

We are doing our first incubation and candled tonight. Only have 20 eggs in there. 19 are for sure growing and moving around. The 20th has veins in there but it's a really heavily painted egg and hard to see. Didn't see any movement and it feels lighter than it should.

I read that I should recandle right before lockdown to check for quitters. Does that mean no movement? Not sure about this one egg. I'm leaving it be as there are no cracks and it seems like it's maybe developing. Exciting times for us. There is nothing like the first time experience! 🥚🐦
At right before lockdown, the chick fills the egg. I normally don't see movement. I do see quitters that aren't filling the shell. So look for the ones that had veins that didn't develop further. I did find one seeping. I pulled it before it popped. Only one I ever saw do that.

So cute. What do they look like now?
Last week picture. I should snap a few today.
598C9B68-595B-4046-A1FA-CF2FB709757A.jpeg
72690D43-B76B-467C-ADB9-E0FADF47226F.jpeg

I just put my eggs for the Hallowe'en HAL into lockdown. Only 7 of my HG made it to lockdown. 21 of them weren't fertile, 2 were early quitters. One of them looks like a mid to late quitter to me, but I'm leaving it in there just in case.

I have 45 from KDale in lockdown.
These KDale eggs are pretty awesome! I had 40 make it to lockdown, and the ones that didn't are mostly my fault.

These KDale eggs are pretty awesome! I had 40 make it to lockdown, and the ones that didn't are mostly my fault.
I've had really good luck with Myshire so far. This is my first order from KDale. Out of 54 eggs, 4 were cracked, 5 were infertile. I have a lot of wonky air cells, but I saw movement in at least one of them, so we'll see how many chicks I get. I love their colours.

I've had really good luck with Myshire so far. This is my first order from KDale. Out of 54 eggs, 4 were cracked, 5 were infertile. I have a lot of wonky air cells, but I saw movement in at least one of them, so we'll see how many chicks I get. I love their colours.
They have some really beautiful birds, if he ever starts offering other than the mixed variety again, I’m filling my incubator with them. I think they’re so eye catching.

Looks like I was a bit off on my set date. I have 11 in the brooder so far, 3 in the incubator, and, from what I can see, pips on the rest of the eggs. I hope the dark one is actually black.
View attachment 2392645
I got a few black tuxedo that look solid black. I don’t think I have a solid black, I can see like super duper faint brown striping on the black.

I got a few black tuxedo that look solid black. I don’t think I have a solid black, I can see like super duper faint brown striping on the black.
I had one born black (actually a few but I only kept one) and jet black feet, but now that it’s an adult more or less, its just normal Rosetta looking with minimal lacing, not an elaborate flashy look, but she definitely didn’t stay black :-(

Back
Top Bottom