āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

What do u mean they have a chance for actual black o.o is it a morph ? If so do u knownthe name this sounds awesome any adult pics ?
Yes @Enthusiast (the egg source) has been selectively breeding for awhile (he can probably tell you how long) to achieve black and black tuxedo color varieties

I set 103 eggs in the new brinsea. As a test I put 6 eggs I had in the fridge for a week in with the others. I currently have 43 in the NR360 since last Wednesday, and 103 in the big brinsea.
View attachment 2389106View attachment 2389107View attachment 2389108View attachment 2389109

So far the brinsea uses very little water to maintain the humidity. Iā€™m very happy with how easy it is. The large trays with the divider fit my eggs perfectly, 24 per tray, I have standard eggs, not jumbos. I canā€™t wait to see the results.
My early observations with the. Brinsea:

1. I live in a very humid area, for several days it was slightly above what I had it set at by a percent or 2 without adding any water. Itā€™s been raining nonstop for several days. However, it got cold last night and the heat was on a lot, drying out the air. I woke up to pretty low humidity because the tube in the pump had gotten stuck closed when the water evaporated around the spot the machine crimps off and on. It might be something you have to see, and my explanation is confusing, but the pump works by alternately crimping areas of a tube with a rotating fork. The fork didnā€™t rotate for several days, and the water that was on the exit side of the tube evaporated, when it started up again as the air got more dry, the area the fork was crimping stayed crimped after the fork rotated. I flexed it open, but someone less familiar with this kind of pump might have been lost as to how to trouble shoot.

2. I took out a tray to add 2 new double yolkers because Iā€™m addicted to trying to hatch twins. The tray had a cardboard tube filling the empty space so the eggs wouldnā€™t lay down, when I removed the tube, an egg slid under the divider, and I had to take all the eggs out and reseat them. Perhaps I need to glue the dividers into place, so juggling too much wonā€™t let an egg work itā€™s way under.

other than that itā€™s a joy, and going well. I assume at lockdown that pump will be running regularly to keep the humidity up so the first issue wonā€™t really be a problem.

@Kiki
Could you give me some tips and just kind of inform me about incubating quail eggs? I have read articles about them but they make no sense, I got my first quail egg, an unsure whether to incubate it once mine is here :|
I would suggest waiting 1-2 weeks before collecting for incubation. You can crack open a few eggs to see if they are fertile too! As far as incubation, temps and humidity are similar to chicken eggs difference is lockdown at day 14 or 15 and hatch day 17-18 typically

So uh, havenā€™t updated in a little bit, but may have gone overboard in the quail department... Hereā€™s my hatches from 2020 for the doc @Kiki
4/1/2020 HG 21 set, 20 fertile, 2 EQ, 18 hatched
5/18/2020 HG 35 set, 33 fertile, 6 EQ, 27 hatched
5/18/2020 Kikiā€™s Pansy Fee 22 set, 22 fertile, 2 EQ, 20 hatched
6/21/2020 HG 69 set, 63 fertile, 4 EQ, 59 hatched
7/19/2020 HG 54 set, 45 fertile, 4 EQ, 41 hatched
7/26/2020 FloorCandyā€™s Celadon 57 set, 48 fertile, 10 EQ, 38 hatched
9/21/2020 HG 104 set, 71 fertile, 6 EQ, 65 hatched

Anyone else have a huge spike in interest from people looking to buy chicks as preparation for the impending apocalypse? I canā€™t hatch fast enough this year...
I made a CL ad for 36 chicks and I got about 40 replies of ā€œcan I pick them up tonightā€ haha.

Brinsea Products USAG47C Ovation 56 EX Fully Automatic Egg Incubator with Humidity Control, One Size https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBXXQNH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_BygNFb8VN9KAZ
Thereā€™s actually not that much price difference in the 28 or 56 right now!!! šŸ˜µšŸ˜µ
Thatā€™s why I got the 56 last year itā€™s always been not proportionately more expensive like 100 bucks more. The trays are more cause thereā€™s more space... but the 56 is the better deal I think for sure.
My early observations with the. Brinsea:

1. I live in a very humid area, for several days it was slightly above what I had it set at by a percent or 2 without adding any water. Itā€™s been raining nonstop for several days. However, it got cold last night and the heat was on a lot, drying out the air. I woke up to pretty low humidity because the tube in the pump had gotten stuck closed when the water evaporated around the spot the machine crimps off and on. It might be something you have to see, and my explanation is confusing, but the pump works by alternately crimping areas of a tube with a rotating fork. The fork didnā€™t rotate for several days, and the water that was on the exit side of the tube evaporated, when it started up again as the air got more dry, the area the fork was crimping stayed crimped after the fork rotated. I flexed it open, but someone less familiar with this kind of pump might have been lost as to how to trouble shoot.

2. I took out a tray to add 2 new double yolkers because Iā€™m addicted to trying to hatch twins. The tray had a cardboard tube filling the empty space so the eggs wouldnā€™t lay down, when I removed the tube, an egg slid under the divider, and I had to take all the eggs out and reseat them. Perhaps I need to glue the dividers into place, so juggling too much wonā€™t let an egg work itā€™s way under.

other than that itā€™s a joy, and going well. I assume at lockdown that pump will be running regularly to keep the humidity up so the first issue wonā€™t really be a problem.
I have geese so I think Iā€™m going to order another set of trays and glue the divider all the way down the middle in a set just for quail. Iā€™m not 100% pleased with the tray inserts either as is.

Back
Top Bottom