➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

That’s why I got the 56 last year it’s always been not proportionately more expensive like 100 bucks more. The trays are more cause there’s more space... but the 56 is the better deal I think for sure.

I have geese so I think I’m going to order another set of trays and glue the divider all the way down the middle in a set just for quail. I’m not 100% pleased with the tray inserts either as is.
i went with the smaller one because i’ve learned from experience that I WILL fill it up every time 🤣🤣🤣🤣

This is a really neat looking one from the group hatching now. It has black feet like a tibetan but is grey. I think this one is a keeper.
1030201359a.jpg
1030201400a.jpg

So I’ve put my 5 (now 6) week old quail out in the main pen. Not sure what sexes we have but they were getting too big to stay in the dog kennel in the porch any longer. Lol. They’re German pastel so as far as I know, not feather sexable. We’re not getting much daylight anymore either, so I don’t know that they’ll be revealing their genders any time soon. I’ve been trying to figure out sexes but even on my older ones, I’m stumped. Figured I would ask here where there are many more, much more knowledgeable people than me!

I have 2 that are confirmed male; crowing, foam, the whole shebang. Then I have 2 that are weirdos. One that I thought was an Italian male, and a Tibetan (or Rosetta?) tux. Neither crows, neither lays an egg, and neither shows any sign of foam. I couldn’t get pics of the tux, it’s a jerk, but I took some of the thought-was-male. See below:
6A136F1A-CB14-42DD-B379-A42EE31A069B.jpeg
4F02251C-3736-4A10-A797-EA1ACF5F45C2.jpeg
A4838436-0D2B-4951-BF0D-31A0AFF9C902.jpeg

Their cage is on the south side of the house, tucked into an alcove beside a basement door. They were receiving full daylight (probably 14-16 hours) during the summer, except I had a dark tarp covering the back and top of the pen so they didn’t get too hot. Did I block the light and discourage them from laying, if any of them ARE female?? 🤷🏼‍♀️ I don’t want to keep too many males, one of the known ones is going to a friend since she lost most of her flock, but I don’t know what to do with the others since I don’t know what they are... :barnie

Back
Top Bottom