➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

It’s good to know I have a few options now.
@RUNuts Purina does state that niacin is included in its starter feed. Have you determined it is deficient in niacin which is why you supplement?
When I first started with quail, I had a couple cases of wry neck. Nothing scientific, just opinions from the wonderful world of BYC. Since that time and feeding the same Purina Game Bird and Turkey Starter, I've used Rooster Booster and a probiotic blend with niacin and haven't had wry neck issues. I am a small hatcher and this observation/opinion is worth what you paid for it.

Beyond incidental evidence, I can prove nothing. Like a couple people mentioned, it couldn't hurt.

During some other discussions on quail health and maybe in this thread, there were some scientific papers referenced that pointed that quail needed increased amounts of niacin for health over other birds. Others may be able to post a link. Another opinion was that niacin degraded in the feed faster than other nutrients. I like avoiding wry neck.

When I first started with quail, I had a couple cases of wry neck. Nothing scientific, just opinions from the wonderful world of BYC. Since that time and feeding the same Purina Game Bird and Turkey Starter, I've used Rooster Booster and a probiotic blend with niacin and haven't had wry neck issues. I am a small hatcher and this observation/opinion is worth what you paid for it.

Beyond incidental evidence, I can prove nothing. Like a couple people mentioned, it couldn't hurt.

During some other discussions on quail health and maybe in this thread, there were some scientific papers referenced that pointed that quail needed increased amounts of niacin for health over other birds. Others may be able to post a link. Another opinion was that niacin degraded in the feed faster than other nutrients. I like avoiding wry neck.
I am pretty sure that your wry neck problems did not come from the feed. I never have wry neck problems with any of my poultry. I do not give rooster booster or supplemental niacin. I also don't try to save defective hatchlings.

I am pretty sure that your wry neck problems did not come from the feed. I never have wry neck problems with any of my poultry. I do not give rooster booster or supplemental niacin. I also don't try to save defective hatchlings.
You have me interested now. I remember wry being caused by vitamin deficiency. Did I get that wrong?

A couple lasted to 8 weeks for butchering. A couple passed before then. I don't separate or expend effort.

I've got a small one in the last hatch of 4. The other 2 caught up to the big egg Rosetta looking one.

You have me interested now. I remember wry being caused by vitamin deficiency. Did I get that wrong?

A couple lasted to 8 weeks for butchering. A couple passed before then. I don't separate or expend effort.

I've got a small one in the last hatch of 4. The other 2 caught up to the big egg Rosetta looking one.
I usually see people trying to treat wry neck with vitamin E.

Wry neck can be a symptom of several different problems. If it is a symptom of a vitamin deficiency, it would be cause by the deficiency in the brood stock. If it is a symptom of a disease that is a different story.

There is also the possibility that the tendency to get the symptom may be genetic.

Curled toes definitely can be due to genetics.

Everyone wants a simple answer but for the most part things are complex.

I usually see people trying to treat wry neck with vitamin E.

Wry neck can be a symptom of several different problems. If it is a symptom of a vitamin deficiency, it would be cause by the deficiency in the brood stock. If it is a symptom of a disease that is a different story.

There is also the possibility that the tendency to get the symptom may be genetic.

Curled toes definitely can be due to genetics.

Everyone wants a simple answer but for the most part things are complex.
Interesting. Thank you for sharing the knowledge. I hope I don't see it anymore.

The first hatch from my Le Creme project just finished:

tzPuBoFRY1HCCSeEwqbmT34BYhRAr9tevo7l8DYw3NsZIICF50Pt-NptvuZzWiEJapgsjLbGsa9SWwOL91KSKKTlL37yWtDYTEVZA_Zl0qzlqUnSB6ZXCHgVCv81EwKdMHBJMcg7EUfmiybqzMaRpemkVY9YrS3csMU-68GCMagtrtBf8DRzk1c58W77nEENsU1yaI8eRL3ZziOu8pWMthZWvOfC_MA6slVymau0T6Q5elnCLe1yvUaxUj8wI6YHztiDhcYprpbhoLvtk7RGc81pNlSFv1bkql-q8xxccwqi2yYD1APqtCaRoZ7HZxkCoW0LS-rGg-XeskpYAkmLGoi84Q-KrYI7VM34h-3iqMvb9Zr9KBnj5QfUPNZMyTdDssKrJHsPPT4rCs0UyhU35hkgItui8H8k3G0IcLOJ5EiOAkUxf5VTCSJGknEFPm8YQAAdu8eR-6JmdCZr-9ysS_2F55XSDGpsPPXnvS6WxCQ4GiPbuxR5mZPLgMtOt8AhshqJXqjnPAIaqPI9kwWmfUWQhXo67Wy4sVDVv7rahG_yFzduktECXkryaFYf56N11bLn_-5_EjT5uHXIvgTkk-O_JJRK_yD_syjL2Y717UcJyw4GSGcedDbwpm-GSfh6QPUUjb2qIL8FINZq7CPCbRAOLv58Iog6iq_uQ4Wjiu7DHiXCr6blVIJUf94N0w=w1250-h937-no

It would appear to be two Egyptian females and one pharoah of indeterminate gender. I wasn't really expecting to get a Le Creme since I only have about a 6% chance of each egg being one in this generation, haha.

Also, one of my new Celadon hens laid her first egg. It's blue. Which leads me to believe the male I was using might actually have been carrying Celadon. So I'm quite possibly looking at more Celadon layers right away.

Back
Top Bottom