Characteristic  of  the  Silkie  Chicken??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MissChikken, Jan 22, 2013.

1. MissChikken

MissChikken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2013
    Georgia, USA
    I heard that Silkies are an excellent breed of bantam chickens. They don't take up much room, are very quiet, sweet, fun-loving, and good with kids. Since I never had chickens before, I really want to get some, and my mom wanted me to research on different breeds before I forage for any more pets (I have two horses, two dogs, two cats, and 20+ pet rats). Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2013
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Silkies make really good pets :) They're very sweet tempered and are good with people. They also make the best mothers ever, and they'll go broody a lot. They're not really the best for eggs, though, although they can lay pretty well. If you want some pet chickens, silkies are a good way to go.

I also like brahmas, just from experience. My light brahma girl is very sweet and likes to sit in my lap. Plus, she lays me an egg almost every day, and that's in wintertime! My big roo is a good boy, and he's never gone after anyone, not even my little five year old cousin. They're also a little more 'predator resistant' than silkies and do a little better in cold weather, if that'll be a problem where you are.

3. MissChikken

Jan 22, 2013
    Georgia, USA
    Thanks! So overall, the Silkie is a sweet, fun-loving, and friendly breed of bantam chicken. Not a prolific egg-layer, but a type of chicken that goes broody often. That sounds like the perfect bird for me! :)

4. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Silkies are great! They are so fun to watch run around, and bump into things. [​IMG] I have to warn you though, be careful of hawks, and predators. Silkies are the first ones to get snatched in a raid, because of their nature.

5. SilkiesForEver

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    My silkie hen who just turned a year old, is a wonderful layer! She lays a nice sized cream colored egg, everyday!

6. MissChikken

Jan 22, 2013
    Georgia, USA
    Thanks for the info!

7. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

My girl's lazy; well, really she's just broody all the time :rolleyes: That's why I don't get as many eggs from her, lol.

8. SilkiesForEver

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    I had a silkie hen like that. Only got 8 eggs from her, and every single one of those eggs eventually became chicks, courteously of broody Minnie. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by