What  Chicken  Breeds  Should  I  Get?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MissChikken, Jan 22, 2013.

1. MissChikken

MissChikken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2013
    Georgia, USA
    I've never had chickens (or any other poultry) before, and I'm new to this site. My mom told me I can get anything I want with my money, even a horse. I already have two, so I don't think I really need another one. I have two dogs, two cats, and around 20 pet rats as well. I've been saving up my allowances for a few months to buy chicks and ducklings, and I have well over $500 left after I buy around 25 or more chicks. I have been very patient, and it was hard too. I wanted to be sure I had enough money just in case something goes wrong with my pets. My mom said she'd help me out too, so that's a relief. Since I have decided to settle on chickens, what breeds would you recommend for a beginner? Pictures provided would be nice. I really like Silkies, d'Uccles, Cochins, and Sultans.

2. poultrylubber

poultrylubber Chillin' With My Peeps

First off Welcome to BYC :) second I am green with envy, it was like pulling teeth trying to get my parents to let me have chickens! Lol.
    As for breeds are you shooting for egg production or for meat or both or ornamental?

3. Salo0009

Salo0009 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    Cochins![​IMG]

4. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Top Layers ( Pure Bred ) - White Leghorns, Minorca's, Ancona's. ( Just afew )
    Top Layers ( Cross ) - Red, white, Black, golden and Amber Sex-Links. Hy-Line Browns, ISA Browns. ( all of these birds are similar ) ( ISA Browns are basically Red Sex-Links)

Top Table ( meat ) Birds- Broilers ( which include) - Cornish Crosses.

Tops Utility ( both meat and eggs) birds- These are also the best breeds for beginners like your self- Rhode Island Reds, Australorps, Sussex, White Leghorns (some strains), Plymouth Rocks, Orpingtons and Faverolles ( you will like the Farverolles, I bet you[​IMG]. )

Top Broody Breeds- These breeds are not very good layers but are top mothers, I suggest having a few of these if you plan to hatch some eggs.- Silkies (silkies are the absolute No. 1 broody breed), Old English Games, Orpingtons and Cochins.

These are only some of HUNDREDS of breeds, I hope this will help you. You can also help folks by saying what you want you chickens for.
    25 chickens sounds like a lot for a first timer that just wants a random mix of chickens as pets. So maybe think a bit smaller, remember you have to pay for feed, medicines and LOTS of treats.lol. Have fun but don't rush into it. Good LUCK.

5. MissChikken

Jan 22, 2013
    Georgia, USA
    Mmmm, leaning more towards pets because I think chickens are too adorable to eat...they taste delicious though [​IMG]. So yup. I'm looking for more of pets from my new chickens that I want to get. A chicken that isn't a prolific egg layer but is ornamental and adorable is perfect.

6. MissChikken

Jan 22, 2013
    Georgia, USA
    [​IMG]I've heard soooo much about Cochins! What about Frizzle Cochins? I can't seem to find a good website to buy those! Let me know if you know of one! I've been on the hunt for weeks now! o_O

7. MissChikken

Jan 22, 2013
    Georgia, USA
    Oh, no worries; I'm not rushing at all. I was actually going to sell some of the chickens to my horseback riding teacher; she has a huge barn with lots of poultry and other animals. I'm only going to keep around 10 or 7, since I don't have too much of a big backyard. Even though I have enough money to pay for the minimum amount thingie online (I don't want to get any poultry from feed stores because a lot of my friends' pets from there died quickly *shrugs*), I don't want to take any chances, so I'm just going to order 25 baby chicks. Thanks for the info!

I'm looking for pet chickens, BTW. Not really much of prolific egg layers or meat birds.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  8. poultrylubber

poultrylubber Chillin' With My Peeps

from what I have read Frizzle is a genetic defect so it isn't a breed apart. Not sure if this is true.
    I like idea of Polish for a pet chicken or Silkies, I have read that they are really friendly. I don't have personal experience with either of these breeds its just what I've read.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  9. MissChikken

Jan 22, 2013
    Georgia, USA
    That's pretty cool. I really like Polish and Silkies too. Thank you for the info! [​IMG]

10. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Yes well, 10 chickens as pets and for a small amount of eggs is perfect, I was worrying you where going to big for a beginner. I would Recommend Faverolles (they are like big silkies.lol.).
    Don't forget if your getting chicks what your going to do with all the roosters?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by