5

592667

Guest
Hi there!

In April 2021 I bought two Barred Rock ‘pullets’, to add to my flock.

Four months later, my two Barred Rock look a bit different from each other. One has a small pink comb, and the other’s wattles, comb, and overall face is completely developed and red!

This morning, I saw my more developed Barred Rock let out a loud squawk/screech at 6am, twice, for no reason. When it made this noise, it stretched out is neck and everything…..I know roos start crowing around 4-6months…..😅

Also, this chicken has pecked me once, when I tried to pick it up, likes to chase the other pullet, and basically take on chickens much larger than itself. The other pullet is much calmer and nicer….Just more proof that I have a roo😂

I am enclosing some pics….I am 99% sure this ‘pullet’ is a roo!!
 

Attachments

  • D02E87CD-0069-4458-A158-FDB04106DA0F.jpeg
    D02E87CD-0069-4458-A158-FDB04106DA0F.jpeg
    488 KB · Views: 65
  • FFE6AC3A-90B4-4FF5-8E93-6E9B4F22DBFF.jpeg
    FFE6AC3A-90B4-4FF5-8E93-6E9B4F22DBFF.jpeg
    574.6 KB · Views: 60
  • B9505E29-A67E-4E36-BB0A-02CE4294029D.jpeg
    B9505E29-A67E-4E36-BB0A-02CE4294029D.jpeg
    756.8 KB · Views: 62
  • ADAAD20B-5CF5-42A5-AF2B-BE94E4CA373C.jpeg
    ADAAD20B-5CF5-42A5-AF2B-BE94E4CA373C.jpeg
    496.6 KB · Views: 62

Frazzemrat1

Free Ranging
May 8, 2017
9,338
16,184
697
Eastern Connecticut
He's a cockerel, the other is a pullet.
I've seen cockerels start to crow at a week old. Cutest little sound!

As to when he will service them.... Well, its going to start of violent. Cockerels don't have any manners when they start off. It could be a good idea to actually separate him from the others for several months until his first hormones calm down.
 
5

592667

Guest
He's a cockerel, the other is a pullet.
I've seen cockerels start to crow at a week old. Cutest little sound!

As to when he will service them.... Well, its going to start of violent. Cockerels don't have any manners when they start off. It could be a good idea to actually separate him from the others for several months until his first hormones calm down.
Oh my goodness a rooster 😅

Thanks for the info! He has been getting a bit rowdy with my larger golden comets and the Barred Rock Pullet, however the always put him back in place.

one of my largest hens, and I mean she is probably 3 times his size, is the alpha of my flock. When my roo is bigger and fully grown, can the pecking order change, and have him be the alpha?
 

Frazzemrat1

Free Ranging
May 8, 2017
9,338
16,184
697
Eastern Connecticut
Oh my goodness a rooster 😅

Thanks for the info! He has been getting a bit rowdy with my larger golden comets and the Barred Rock Pullet, however the always put him back in place.

one of my largest hens, and I mean she is probably 3 times his size, is the alpha of my flock. When my roo is bigger and fully grown, can the pecking order change, and have him be the alpha?
Sometimes. Hey may learn manners yet, if she's bossing him around. But he may decide she's his favorite and spend all his time trying to dominate and mate her.
 

citymeetscountry

Songster
Aug 1, 2020
759
1,696
246
Arkansas
Yep 1 cockerel 1 pullet, as far as servicing, our BR that ended up being a cockerel was clumsy, no manners, and hormones raging in the morning. The mating came before the eg gas For us. He wanted what he wanted first thing in the morning whether the girls did or not. He’d just kind of jump on them and take it. They stopped wanting to come out of the coop in the morning. We eventually got rid of him (he attacked our at the time 5 year old). After our 4 girls were much happier and laying regularly. He’s very handsome. I miss ours but know it was for the best in our situation. Ours was not top of the pecking order though.
 
5

592667

Guest
Wow thanks for all the info!

it’s crazy that out of the 99% chance of getting a roo from a pullet flock, I had to get that 1%!
 

JedJackson

Enabler
6 Years
Jul 6, 2016
8,871
25,678
1,022
NW Washington state
90% accuracy rate is what the hatcheries advertise, but judging from the masses of posts in here where people have unexpectedly gotten a cockerel, I have to question that. Also, sometimes TSC will mix straight run chicks with sexed pullets. So it is not always the fault of the hatcheries.

If you can keep him he may turn out just fine. Some roosters do, some don't. It's really the luck of the draw.
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom