šŸ‘‹hello!

Stacybaby9

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2019
My first post, but been a member for a few months. I've been popping in and out of here for years, but never had chickens and had nothing to share...

So, because I do everything backwards, I ordered 26 chicks yesterday. They are due in the week of March 2nd from Murray McMurray Hatchery.

Due in are 5 female Golden Wyandottes, 5 female Welsummers, a package of 15 female mix of Plymouth Rocks, and Whitibg True Blues, and a surprise indexed chick.

No coop. No experience, unless dogs count.

Soooo... I'll probably be in here a lot!!

In the real world I am a mechanic, working on everything from small cars to semi's and their trailers. My wife is a nurse, and all my kids are grown.

Pretty anxious to get started - moved to 22.5 acres late 2017, but also kinda petrified because I kind of bit off a lot to chew...

Hi! Welcome to BYC! You did take a big bite out of the apple, and the pie isn't even baked yet. :lol: So, join the crowd. You'll learn quick enough, but definitely visit the articles section that Pork Pie showed you. Read about coops. You are going to need a large one for 26 birds. Probably a shed conversion would work the best. Good luck and most of all, have fun!!!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Sorry for the blunt reality check but you are going to be in for a surprise without having your coop and run already built with that many chicks coming in less than a month. I know what I'm doing in construction and it still took me 2 months to convert my old shed into my coop and another month to build the run. I had my coop and built-in brooder finished when my 15 chicks arrived. Their brooder was 13 square feet and they were more than ready to get out to their run by the time they were 3.5 weeks old. Their run gave them an additional 37 sq feet of space and in another week they were being integrated into the adult flock.
I would suggest you delay your chick order by 1.5 months and get busy NOW building your coop and run.

:welcome

Hi, thanks for popping in with an intro! I agree with @DobieLover about the coop and run...chicks grow very fast and you'll want them moved into place quickly. Make it roomy enough for the chickens and strong enough to protect them (everything loves chicken).

Make yourself at home and always feel free to ask questions!

Back
Top Bottom