🚨emergency! chicken nail 🚨

chix4lyfe

Chirping
Jul 10, 2020
Hi! One of our hens lost a bit of toe nail and it is bleeding a lot! When I hold paper towel on it it slows down but it starts dripping blood again once I take it off. It is pretty cold and snowing here but I'm not sure if you need to know that. We don't know what to do because it won't stop bleeding. Please Help!!

Hi! One of our hens lost a bit of toe nail and it is bleeding a lot! When I hold paper towel on it it slows down but it starts dripping blood again once I take it off. It is pretty cold and snowing here but I'm not sure if you need to know that. We don't know what to do because it won't stop bleeding. Please Help!!
Pictures please?

Do you have cornstarch? It's the same as bleed stop. Putting cornstarch on it should stop the bleeding.

I would try the things already suggested. Keep her in a crate and watch her. Most of those nail bleeds do eventually stop. Her toe will be sore for a week or more, and she might limp. But she should be fine. You can buy styptic pencils at Walmart and drug stores in the shaving or first aid aisles. But the corn startch or even flour should help.

When you get a chance take a photo.

For bleeding nails, apply pressure for a good while, you can apply a little flour or cornstarch as needed. Nails bleed like crazy, but it will eventually stop.
here is a photo. I tried to use cornstarch but it just bleed through and dripped off
image.jpg

I think someone may have dropped the coop door on her. I wasn't there but that is where i see blood. She has lost a bit of blood but not so much that i'm worried

As my mother used to say, "It's a long ways from her heart." A chicken has never bled to death from a broken nail.

As my mother used to say, "It's a long ways from her heart." A chicken has never bled to death from a broken nail.
Thanks for that! I'm not worried about her dying so much as what to do to help her heal quickly. Right now she's alone in a crate away from her friends and she's trying to escape. The snow is pretty hard because its kind of frozen and I'm scared it might break open again.

Back
Top Bottom