1 1/2 month old duck with swollen neck

Vincents029

Hatching
Apr 8, 2022
Hey so I got these two ducks from tractor supply in Carson I had them for about 2 weeks and I read that they have to be 1 month old to sell so I’m guessing about 1 1/2 month old. They’ve grown a lot but for the past week about I noticed my duck has a lump on its neck. It’s gotten real big and I think maybe it is a ruptured air sac but I’m not sure. She is wheezing a little bit and sneezing a lot more than the other one. I’m also pretty broke so a trip to the vet is one of the last things I wanna do so if there is any specific way I could treat this I really need to know. Please someone let me know anything I should have to know about this and let me know if I need to go to the vet The red in the picture is where the swelling is. It is really noticeable when she’s wet (also I think it’s a girl right)
image.jpg

Hey so I got these two ducks from tractor supply in Carson I had them for about 2 weeks and I read that they have to be 1 month old to sell so I’m guessing about 1 1/2 month old. They’ve grown a lot but for the past week about I noticed my duck has a lump on its neck. It’s gotten real big and I think maybe it is a ruptured air sac but I’m not sure. She is wheezing a little bit and sneezing a lot more than the other one. I’m also pretty broke so a trip to the vet is one of the last things I wanna do so if there is any specific way I could treat this I really need to know. Please someone let me know anything I should have to know about this and let me know if I need to go to the vet The red in the picture is where the swelling is. It is really noticeable when she’s wet (also I think it’s a girl right)View attachment 3054341
I didn't read your whole post, but based on this photo, your duck looks much younger than 6 weeks old. Maybe 3 weeks? 4 weeks?
Also, the "swelling" your seeing looks to be the crop. :) Thats like a duck and chickens stomach, it breaks down all the food they eat. It get larger when they eat, and flatter overnight. As long as they are acting fine, and the crops are emptying overnight you should be just fine. Perfectly normal.

I didn't read your whole post, but based on this photo, your duck looks much younger than 6 weeks old. Maybe 3 weeks? 4 weeks?
Also, the "swelling" your seeing looks to be the crop. :) Thats like a duck and chickens stomach, it breaks down all the food they eat. It get larger when they eat, and flatter overnight. As long as they are acting fine, and the crops are emptying overnight you should be just fine. Perfectly normal.
Thank you so much I don’t know what happened but I got her wet today and the swelling isn’t there but it had everyone in the house freaking out yesterday do you know which is a male and which is female or if they’re the same? and is it ok to let them drink pond water? And the breed? Sorry if this is too much it’s about all I have questions on and I’m doing my senior project on them so I kinda would like to know

Attachments

• 7F57B5DE-ED93-4B2D-BB85-FB7C13A237EF.jpeg
    7F57B5DE-ED93-4B2D-BB85-FB7C13A237EF.jpeg
    535.6 KB · Views: 7
Thank you so much I don’t know what happened but I got her wet today and the swelling isn’t there but it had everyone in the house freaking out yesterday do you know which is a male and which is female or if they’re the same? and is it ok to let them drink pond water? And the breed? Sorry if this is too much it’s about all I have questions on and I’m doing my senior project on them so I kinda would like to know
Did you do research before getting ducks? I highly suggest you read through the BYC learning center, it will have the info your looking for.
They are currently to young to tell gender, but once they start quacking, we can tell by their voice.
From the photo, it looks like you have a Pekin and possibly a Khaki? It’s hard to tell, could you get a better photo of the brown one? As long as the pond is clean, not polluted or very dirty it’s probably alright. That really depends on your level of bio security m, which I also suggest you read up on.
I hope this helps!

Did you do research before getting ducks? I highly suggest you read through the BYC learning center, it will have the info your looking for.
They are currently to young to tell gender, but once they start quacking, we can tell by their voice.
From the photo, it looks like you have a Pekin and possibly a Khaki? It’s hard to tell, could you get a better photo of the brown one? As long as the pond is clean, not polluted or very dirty it’s probably alright. That really depends on your level of bio security m, which I also suggest you read up on.
I hope this helps!
Thanks for the help your a real one 👊🤙

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 6
Your duck is definitely not 6 weeks old. I’m not sure where you heard/read they had to be a month old to sell them…I got our ducklings last year from TSC and they were days old. I hatched some this year from eggs from the babies we got last year. I’d guess yours are closer to 2-2.5 weeks. PP might be correct on the pekin and khaki Campbell (though yours seems lighter in color, maybe a golden layer?). Be aware that your ducklings do not have their adult feathers yet and therefore their feathers aren’t waterproof. Keep a very close eye on them so that they don’t drown (and I don’t know what the weather is like where you are-but don’t get too cold either). I just took our 5 week old babies to our pond today and they aren’t fully feathered yet either.

Back
Top Bottom