1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1 & 1/2 Week Chicks w/Dark Gelatinous Poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by appalachianfeet, May 11, 2011.

1. appalachianfeet

appalachianfeet Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    I just found out I should already be giving our chicks some grit if they're going to get supplements to their chick starter. My daughter gave them some worms and some finely crumbled boiled egg. Today their poop looks different -- it's sticky, dark, and gelatinous. Is that from the lack of grit (and will giving them grit fix it) or something else?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Welcome to BYC. They should only be fed chick starter/grower til they are 18-20 weeks old. You can sprinkle parakeet grit around their feeder and let them peck it as "free choice." In other words, let them eat it at their own free will and dont mix it in their feed...they instictively know when to eat it. Their innards are not developed enough to digest and absorb human food. I recommend you stop the worms, and crumbled boiled egg. Their poop should return to normal. Keep in mind that at about every 8-10 droppings will be cecal poop...the stinky diarrhea brown in color poop...it is normal.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Are you sure you're not just looking at cecal poop? Every half dozen to dozen poops will end up in a cecal poop, which is like a melted Hershey kiss and smells terrible.

4. appalachianfeet

appalachianfeet Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Oh yeah, it's definitely the cecal poop. Thanks for the advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by