1 1/2" wide roost o.k.?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by earthy_chicks, Apr 28, 2007.

1. earthy_chicks

earthy_chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2007
    Hi Everyone! Just back from the Depot to get more supplies and the largest diameter of wooden dowels I could find was 1 1/2" for the roosting poles. It seems quite large to me but I keep seeing 2" listed as the minimum. Can I have some input here? Thanks!

2. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    That seems too small a diameter for standard-sized hens. Best recommendation is to use 2x4 with the 4" side up. That way the hens can stand on the roost and not have to curl their toes around to stay on the roost.

Andy

3. earthy_chicks

earthy_chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2007
    O.k. so do I need to provide 2x4's for my standards and something a bit smaller for my banties? or can they all roost on 2x4s.
    Thanks! I love this forum:)

4. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Uh-oh! [​IMG] I've always used 2x2, which are really 1.5x1.5...
    I'd better upgrade quick! Thanks for the info!

5. Weewanona

Weewanona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2007
    Wilburton, OK
    IMO - your banties should be just fine. Probably even more secure then the standards. [​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, go with the 2x4's. I find my hens like to sit on big flat spaces.

As for needing to change them, 2x2's will be fine. I remember a time where mine were all roosting on 1x2's!

7. homechick

homechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    Mineola, Tx
    I guess when you think of roost you think of perch. When you think of perch you think ROUND. But I would hate to go to sleep with my toes curled..lol.
    I finished my coop today and will be putting in roosts tomorrow, I'm SO glad I didn't put in the tiny things I had cut. Thanks!

8. Dogginfox

Dogginfox Chillin' With My Peeps

I read somewhere that chickens like to have their feet as flat as possible when they are roosting. If you live in a climate that gets really cold in the winter you will want to have roost where the birds can keep their feet flat and cover them with their feathers so they dont get frostbitten in the winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by