1 1/2 year Old Rooster cant walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kayakfish, Sep 4, 2014.

1. kayakfish

kayakfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2013
    Cumberland, VA
    I have a Rooster whom I bought as a flock, and he was walking stiff legged when I got him, I thought he was just real cocky. Well I was wrong.
    For 5 days I had them by themselves in the pen I use for all new chickens until I can see if they have any nasty's, they got wormed, dusted, and probiotics. Fed a 20% Multi Flock Feed by Blue Seal hat I feed all my adolescent, molting, or Roosters .
    On Weds, I took them out of that pen and put them in with my Welsummers, well the young 16 week old rooster, didn't like him in there as when I went out the next morning he had the Ill rooster in a corner down and had picked on him for about 2 hours before I got to him. No real outer injuries, a little nipping on the comb but that was it. I cleaned him up, put antibiotic cream on the comb, and noticed he wasn't fighting me at all
    When I put him in my arms to check him all over I noticed his Hocks and bottoms of both feet were blood red and hot, and inflamed. I put him down as I felt no popping, looseness, or grinding in any of his leg joints, just that he didn't pull away from me. When I put him down his gait had gotten really bad like he was in severe pain, walking and his hocks were turning inward towards each other like he had no control over them, then he layed down, which is what he is doing most of the time now.
    There is no mites , but treated him for them any way, just incase I couldn't see them. He is eating, and drinking from the feeder and waterer, which I have put 2 baby aspirin in a quart waterer to help as well as flax in the feed to help with inflammation.
    Have any of you seen this before, what can I do to get him up and going again, he is a heritage breed and I don't want to lose him.

2. Fuster Cluck

Fuster Cluck New Egg

Sep 4, 2014
    Hi Kayakfish,
    One of my hens is experiencing similar symptoms. She stumbled for a little bit using her wing as a crutch then flops to the ground and doesn't move. If I put food in front of her, she will eat it - so I'm using this as a way to get her some extra vitamins that might help if it's a disease of some sort that can be treated.

I know the pecking order can get rather brutal at times. I wonder if he got into it and is experiencing some nerve damage. I would try an Epsom salt bath to soothe his legs. If you place your finger under his foot - will he curl his toes around it?

Best of luck. I'll be watching here to see how he's doing. Hope our two get back on their feet soon.

3. kayakfish

kayakfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2013
    Cumberland, VA
    Yes he will curl his toes around the finger, but its like he is hurting up in upper leg, I checked for slipped tendons thats not it , the are right in line with the rear of the bones, but his hocks are very irritated, and I was told by my vet to give him tetracycline, in his water, in case there is a infection, of some sort. So that is where I am at this point, I will pump him up with the tetracycline ,maybe some penicillin, but the baby aspirin is a great anti-inflammatory.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by