1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1 1/2 year old White Leghorn with severe watery diarrhea, lethargy, etc. Egg yolk peritonitis??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EggDropSoup, Dec 9, 2013.

1. EggDropSoup

EggDropSoup Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Hi all--

This morning, I went out to the coop and found my dear white leghorn, Oleta, in a nest box, looking very, very sick.

She is my champion layer--she lays an egg almost every day, even though we've been having sub-zero temperatures and the ground is covered in snow!

I noticed she smelled very, very bad and her entire abdomen/vent area was caked with diarrhea. I decided to bring her into the house--it's extremely cold out right now, and I knew the cold wouldn't do her any good.

She definitely laid an egg yesterday and was eating, drinking, and pecking around the yard just fine, so this is a very sudden onset of whatever it is.

Her symptoms are as follows:

-EXTREME lethargy (she can't keep her eyes open)
    -wobbly
    -REALLY foul smelling, completely watery diarrhea (I picked her up to inspect her belly and she pooped everywhere)
    -darker tinge to the tips of her comb, though that could be mild frostbite
    -wings drooping

As soon as I brought her in, I gave her 21 CCs of lactated ringers and a warm bath to clean off all the caked-on diarrhea. I'm keeping her warm in the spare bathroom. She has no interest in food or water.

Her belly MIGHT be redder and more swollen, though I can't say for sure. Since she's such a good, consistent layer (of always perfect, large eggs), it doesn't seem likely that this could be egg yolk peritonitis, but I can't say for sure...

What should I treat her with? I feel like I need to do something for her fairly quickly. I will keep giving her fluids. I do have some penicillin on hand. Your advice is greatly appreciated! thank you!

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I'd give more fluids orally if she can tolerate them.

-Kathy

3. EggDropSoup

Sep 12, 2012
    I'm now almost positive that this is egg yolk peritonitis. :( :( :(

Her abdomen has grown progressively more swollen, and she can only poop if I hold her in a certain way. She is now wheezing. :( this is really, really devastating to me, and I feel she won't be alive for very much longer. Can eyp be diagnosed by necropsy?

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    So sorry... you could try draining the fluid. I've only done it a few times, so I can't give you any good instructions on how to do it, but relieving the pressure might help her.

If she does die you could do your own necropsy and it would probably be pretty obvious. Have you stuck a finger in her vent to check for obstructions?

-Kathy

5. silkiechick1994

silkiechick1994 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2013
    Paris TN
    I am very sorry to say that I think you may be right. Here is a post that you could read that gives you the symptoms. Though, you probably have already read up and done as much research as you can.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/526089/egg-yolk-peritonitis

If it is, I am very very sorry this happened. Keep giving antibiotics and fluids and if you believe in taking to the vet you might consider it. it is never easy in this sort of situation. Best of wishes to you and your flock.

6. EggDropSoup

Sep 12, 2012
    She passed away while I was at the grocery store. :( At least I know she died in a warm, safe house instead of out in the snow, and that I did try to do everything I could.

She seemed perfectly fine yesterday, so this is really just a blow to me--she was my best laying hen, hands down.

I have a syringe with a needle. Now that she's gone, I'm going to see if I can get any fluid out of her, which will probably give me my answer.

I didn't think I'd be as sad as I am. I've lost chickens before, and it's always sad, but I guess the suddenness of this has me a little torn up. This girl survived two dog attacks and a case of some horrible respiratory disease only to be taken out so suddenly by whatever this was. She's always been a scrappy fighter, so it must have been something really serious to have done her in so quickly. :(

7. silkiechick1994

Jun 25, 2013
    Paris TN
    I'm very sorry that she died. It's so hard when we lose one. Maybe you can get some answers from the fluid you draw out and that may give you some closure. Sometimes it just hits us harder than usual because like you said its very sudden. Hugs to you and I hope everyone in your flock stays healthy and happy.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    So sorry for your loss, I know how hard it is to lose them. If you can, try a little more than the needle and syringe, I think if you cut into her it will be obvious what she died from and that will make you feel better in knowing that there was nothing you could have done for her. Again, sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

-Kathy

9. EggDropSoup

Sep 12, 2012
    Does EYP seem likely even though up until this morning, she was laying an egg every day??

Very often, she laid VERY large eggs, and sometimes they were bloody on the outside, as though she was injured laying the egg. Is this something that could have indicated a problem??

10. silkiechick1994

Jun 25, 2013
    Paris TN
    If she layed large eggs that caused her to tear when she layed one it might have caused her to become egg bound in some way during the process of making an egg. Sometimes they are just made this way and there isn't a whole lot you can do to change it. If you want to try to draw some of the stuff out of the spongy part or cut her open and look around you might be able to see something. At least you'd know then. I'm so sorry she died.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by