1 1/2 yo RIR w/large squishy crop, dark green droppings, cold feet/comb/wattles, etc...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mr Beaks, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Mr Beaks

Mr Beaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2015
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    For the past two days I have noticed my hen hanging out in one of the nesting boxes. At first I just thought she was laying an egg. The next time I saw her there I thought maybe she was following our broodies lead as she was sitting on a small clutch that hadn't been collected yet. She'd been eating and drinking as usual but I did notice yesterday that she was picking out and eating just the oyster shell out of her feed, though they do have a separate bowl of free choice. When I locked the coop up last night she was in the nesting box again. Upon opening the coop today I found her standing under the roost puffed up, eyes closed, comb wilted/droopy and tail pumping up and down. I picked her up and found her feet were ice cold as were her comb/wattles and her crop large and squishy. I also noticed a dark green gel-like dropping that I'm sure was hers. At present she is in the house and is not eating or drinking although her feet have warmed up some. She is not looking good at all and hasn't moved since bringing her in. Any help would be greatly appreciated as DH is out of town and DD has special events today. Thank you in advance![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Has she been wormed recently? Can you check her skin all over, especially under the vent, for tiny bugs or or eggs that could be symptoms of lice or mites? The green stools are usually a result of not eating. Is there some egg yolk material near the dropping in your second picture? Can you feel inside her vent an inch or two for a stuck egg? She could be suffering from internal laying or egg peritonitis,especially if she has been passing egg material. I would try to get her to take some chopped egg, some plain yogurt, and some water that contains vitamins and electrolytes.

3. Mr Beaks

Jan 13, 2015
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    She hasn't been wormed but has been to the vet twice within the past 4-6 months (bumblefoot) and had neg. fecal float both times. They get checked for bugs nightly but checked again, none. Her stools are mostly water now w/green rubbery material. There was yellow material in droppings yesterday but So far I've seen no sign of any shell or membrane. I've read up on EYP and she seems to be missing symptoms but maybe possible. Her crop is still large and squishy which has me concerned. There is no detectable foul odor as with sour crop. It seems like she's got problems at both ends and I don't want to treat for the wrong thing. She is moving around today and even talking a bit but still has wilted comb and water balloon crop. Thank you for your response and for any assistance or insight you could provide. She is one of my originals and by far my favorite!

4. Mr Beaks

Jan 13, 2015
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    Forgot to mention she took some plain yogurt last night and has water with vitamins/electrolytes. She has also been getting a crop massage here and there which she seems to enjoy :)
    A pic of todays droppings...
    [​IMG]

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Crops can become sluggish and slow to empty during illness. If the crop becomes very large, they can sometimes vomit with crop massage. Crop problems can be very hard to deal with, but she just may have a crop that isn't working properly due to what is wrong with her. Sorry that I can't help more.

6. Mr Beaks

Jan 13, 2015
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    Alright, thanks. I read somewhere that Duramycin-10 was good to use for EYP? Her abdomen is now hot and swollen :(. How much should I give her and for how long?

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Actually I was just reading another post today saying that most E.coli infections which are common with EYP, are resistant to tetracyclines. Enrofloxacin or Baytril, or penicillin drugs may be better. If you do a search at the top of the page for "baytril sources," you can buy it online. If you can get her seen by a local vet, it might be easier, and you might get a more accurate diagnosis.

8. Mr Beaks

Jan 13, 2015
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    Thank you so much for the info.! I will try to get ahold of some Baytril ASAP. The last vet visit costed us $400 and we can't afford it this time around.

9. Mr Beaks

Jan 13, 2015
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    Something is very wrong! Another hen is pooping water, everyone's combs are looking pale and I just found my BO, Buffy dead under the roost. Any ideas, comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Refrigerate her body, and send her to the state vet or to UCDavis for a free necropsy. I can't post links now, but go to the top of this page and type in "how to send a bird for a necropsy" and click on that thread by Casportpony. Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by