1 1/2 yo turkey hen "beaten up" by tom Help

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by joyfulspirit, Dec 4, 2016.

1. joyfulspirit

joyfulspirit Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2015
    Tomahawk, WI
    This morning our hen was laying on the ground outside and the tom was pecking on her, as I came out he moved away, she couldn't stand up so I got a blanket and brought her in the shed where water/food are set up. I inspected her body and the back of her neck was raw in places; she had some blood so I put salve on her neck. Her tummy looked fine as did her legs. I covered her up with a blanket and put straw bales around her to protect her from Tom and keep draft off her. She wasn't very responsive. Checking on her about an hour later, when I came in she acknowledged me and was more coherent. This afternoon, I checked on her and while she's much more coherent, she can't walk. She stumbles when trying to get up . . any thoughts? We only have Tom and Trudy, hen. Both 1 1/2 year olds, originally they were doing to be our holiday "guests" last year but we fell in love with them and they are our pets.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Turkeys will often attack any odd acting turkey so it can be hard to say if he caused it or was attacking her after she went down. Turkeys are not kind to each other. Another option is he hurt her while trying to mate her, than began pecking her because she wouldn't get up. Turkeys will often cannibalize sick or dying birds.

3. KarateHorse

KarateHorse Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2016
    From everything that I have read turkeys are very tough birds. We have a turkey that broke her leg. She layed around for a long time but then finally it healed and she runs all over now. If your turkeys leg is broken I would just give her some time to heal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by