1 1/2 yr old.rouen drake not waterproof?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by shennessey818, Jan 2, 2015.

1. shennessey818

shennessey818 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2014
    Michigan
    I just got a 1 1/2 yr old rouen drake. When i got him he was filthy dirty. Was kept in quite horrid conditions. I have him quartined. But i offer him a small pool to clean himself. And i noticed he isnt waterproof like my other ducks?what can cause this? Also what kinds of sickness should i look for?should i worm him? Like i said he was kept in horrid conditions and i want him to be healthy. Please help.tia

1 person likes this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That's so nice of you to rescue him, if he didn't have a way to wash he may not have done much preening so give him fresh water to bathe in and hopefully he'll begin to preen which then he will spread his oil all over his feathers and become water repellent. Most water fowl are really healthy so hopefully he is fine in that department but being kept in horrid conditions it might be a good idea to do a worming. Does he have a good appetite eyes bright poop normal, well we all know duck poop can look totally different from one day to the next but normal as duck poop can look. I think with some good ole TLC he'll be looking his best in not time. Be sure to post some pics we'd love to see him.

3. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    2x

I recently rescued 2 ducks along with 9 chickens and they did not know how to clean themselves...heck, they were even scared of water! They had drunk out of a chicken waterer all there life. Needless to say, after a few months they have learned to clean themselves, and are not deathly afraid of me.
    [​IMG] good job on rescuing a duck!

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    good for you cityfarmer12 have you shared pics with us?

5. shennessey818

shennessey818 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2014
    Michigan
    So far. .i let him bathe. He's been preening every since. He seemed so happy to be in water. Greatest thing i seen in a long time. He didnt have much appetite yet seemed to consumed with playing in water.his poo is very green and runny right now. Yeah ill probably worm him just to be safe. Ill keep u updated and thanks for your response.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    He'll get his feathers cleaned and in good shape it will just a little time. Hopefully his appetite will pick up too, you could get him some vitamin with probiotics in them to help with immune and also tummy TSC has them they mix in their water. I bet he is enjoying his bath time. Post pics when you can too.

7. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    thanks :) I did a month or so ago, when the boy got attacked by a fox, but here is max and molly :)
    [​IMG]

that's great! It is so cool to see ducks see water for the first time :)

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I remember that now, Max still doing good? they are so pretty.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  9. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    yeah, you helped me fix him up :) he is doing great! He is not nearly as scared of me as he was when he was hurt...i think him being in the house during that time really helped him. they are really pretty. [​IMG]

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That's great he is doing so good, at least something good came out of it he isn't as scared.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by