1+2=15? (VERY PIC HEAVY!)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CTChickenMom, Mar 31, 2009.

1. CTChickenMom

CTChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    Yipee!! They arrived! [​IMG] Ordered a dozen, 2 each of Blk Aussie, Light Brahma, Partridge Cochin, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Golden Pencil Hamburgs, and Araucana. I should have 1 bonus chick but instead got 3 bonus chicks! [​IMG] Can you help me identify them? I know some and can guess at others but would like advice from someone who knows! Here is one I have no clue on...think this might be a bonus chick as its the only one with this color pattern: [​IMG]

According to feathersite.com, the two brown on brown here are true Araucanas:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More pics coming.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  2. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Looks like typical chicken math to me. [​IMG] Are you sure the other 2 aren't just packing peanut roos to finish filling the box? I wouldn't be able to tell you which ones they are though.

3. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Don't you love chicken math [​IMG]

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I especially love the rule where bantams are less than 1 and we always round down so they don't count. I swear I only have a dozen chickens. According to the laws of proper chicken math the other 3 dozen chicks in the brooders don't count. [​IMG]

5. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

For some reason I don't think my mom would buy that! [​IMG]

6. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    where did you get your chicks? True Araucanas are extremely hard to find... Those two look exactly like one of my EEs from my order from McMurray.

7. CTChickenMom

CTChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    Yes lisahaschickens, they are from McMurray too. Wishful thinking on my part! I now think the ones I thought were Lt Brahmas are my Wyandottes. I was told they are big chicks.

I love chicken math too! I think I'm going to work on it some more!

8. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    [​IMG] enjoy them.

If you want true Araucanas, you will have to scour this place for legitimate breeders. They are extremely rare and hard to find. Hatcheries simply don't have them... I think this is due in part to the fact that the tufting gene is tied to a lethal gene, so they're not simple to breed and raise. I thin kyou will love your EEs! The one that I have that was the dark chocolate brown like yours is absolutely my favorite girl - she is so sweet and smart - she is my only truly snuggly chicken - she loves to hop on people and snuggle in a lap or on a shoulder for a nap and she is always first to try new things and go new places. She's a doll! And EEs are nice and hardy! You've got great chicks, no matter what they are and you will love them [​IMG]

9. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    My light brahamas are very dark on their backs with lighter colors on their bellies and fluffybutts. The wings will come in mixed lt. and dark colors. Good Luck with your fuzzybutts

10. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    The first picture is a silver-spangled hamburg, I'm almost positive. I've had 7 of those from McMurray, and my mom got 9 in her last order of Rainbow Layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by