1/2 day old chick falls backward when standing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Roxannemc, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Have a new chick who needed assisting this morning out of the shell... now it seems ok......... BUT...... he wants to put his head up in the air so far he falls over backward
    I have made a paper low bridge for him to be under so he can stand and cant get his head back enough to fall over
    any other ideas or things I can do?
    HE does come out here and there.... and falls backward!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It sounds like he could be "stargazing". Am I correct in that he is curving his neck backwards and up so far that he loses his balance and flips over? To confirm that he is "stargazing", post a picture or search for "stargazing chick" in the search bar.

If it is "stargazing", the cause is a vitamin deficiency in the breeder birds. Start him on some vitamins as soon as possible. Liquid Polyvisol vitamins (without iron) for infants works well.

He may also just be weak. Maybe try giving him some sugar water, and some probiotics and electrolytes. Is he eating and drinking, or does his condition make it impossible for him to do these things? If so, you will have to hand feed him.

Hope I've helped. Keep us updated, and good luck!

3. 2chick

2chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2013
    probaly just not old enough. young chicks are very weak.

4. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Thaks that may be it. Sounds like it. Had one before like this came out of it I think .I thought he needed vitamins couldnt remember if it was tis affliction or not called for it.
    However was out of vitamins and he seems to correct himself after I put the little bridge in finally got the idea.
    He isn't walking well yet though very small also not sure hes eating at all ... sadly trials of some assisted chicks I think...
    Will try sugar egg crumble water today Thanks a lot for the reply.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by