1-2 day old feather sexing?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MommaBee, Mar 23, 2013.

1. MommaBee

MommaBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2012
    Texas
    I have read about feather sexing, just wondering if it really works. I had 2 breeds hatch 2 each and I can see clear differences. Wondering if its because they are just different chicks or if there is really something to the feathers. Let me know what you think...

rose comb RIR.... Looks like #1 is a girl and #2 is a boy?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then the white Marans... Harder to tell but is #1 and boy and # 2 a girl?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Marans hatched just 2 hours apart and the RIR just 4 hours apart so I thought they would be good for comparison. They hatched on the 21st and these pics are from today, the 23rd.

Thoughts?

2. MommaBee

May 25, 2012
    Texas
    Please let me know if I need to add more pics.

3. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    The first is a boy and second is the girl. If they have 2 rows it's a girl and if only one row it's a boy.

4. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    They have to be bred for it or it wont work, I think you have to breed a rooster with a fast feathering gene over a hen that has the slow feathering gene to get the opposit effects on the resulting chicks. If they are not bred for it it wont work.

5. MommaBee

May 25, 2012
    Texas
    Really FancyFowl? That's interesting! Sounds like it is not a very reliable method then.

ChipsyMom, there are 4 pics of 4 different bird. Did you mean that was the order for both breeds? I doubt where I got the eggs from bred them like FancyFowl explained. [​IMG]

6. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    Oh! I thought there was only 2 birds! My bad!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by