1-2 month old silkie chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by brains, Aug 4, 2013.

1. brains

brains Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2013
    Geauga County, Ohio
    I am going to pick up 3-4 silkie chicks and was wondering what I need to have for them as far as feeder and waterer. I am trying to keep cost down so could I get away with a pvc feeder with multiple holes and then try to figure out some type of diy waterer? Is there a specific spot to place them? They should be close to the people access door right?
    Also is there a problem having the roost above the door to the run? I was told the chicks will need to be kept in the coop for a week so they know it is their home, since they are so small what do I need to do to the coop for them. I think I have it set up for adult birds now with roosting bars and nest boxes
    Thanks in advance
    Ed

2. jorey

jorey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    north adams
    Silkies are no different in their requirements than other chickens other than they can't fly so either have roost 6 to 12 inches off floor or no roost at all. I chose not to have one. Had one in brooder, they didn't use it. Yours may be different so id at least put one out there for them. Also they should not have layer feed from what I've seen on here. I have regular chicken waterer and a black rubber pan for feed. When winter hits I ll switch water to black rubber pans also. Easy to empty frozen out of. Good luck and you will love them.

3. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    If you have any pullets, they should be put on layer feed at 5 months old, so the calcium is in their system when they start to lay eggs. All the big silkie breeders feed layer food, and they have had no negative side affects. Silkies are just like any other chicken, so treat them the same! Grower food is for birds that you want to fatten up and eat!

Best of luck with your new silkies.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  4. jorey

jorey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    north adams
    From what I've read is that silkies and roos have a hard time with the extra calcium in layer feed affecting their kidneys. I have an all flock feed with oyster shells on the side. Hopefully someone else will chime in with their opinion as id really like to know the truth about this also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by